We have compiled the following information about television compatibility, and provide this list an informal reference for newer devices. This information is compiled from staff and student reports, and is not intended to be complete. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of this information. You should verify the specifications when you make a purchase.
- LG – Most models since 2007 have a QAM tuner.
- Samsung – All models since 2009 have a QAM tuner (fifth digit of model number must be B or higher.)
- Sony – Most models since 2007 have a QAM tuner.
- Sylvania – Do not appear to have QAM tuners.
- Toshiba – Most models since 2007 have a QAM tuner.
- Vizio – Recent models have a QAM tuner.
- Westinghouse – Some models support QAM but require an activation code from manufacturer. (Many models aren’t supported at all.)
Often Incompatible Brands
- Dynex – Only limited models have a QAM tuner.
- Insignia – Only limited models have a QAM tuner.
Compatible QAM Set-Top Tuners
Experience shows the following stand-alone QAM Tuners (i.e. set-top cable boxes) are compatible with our digital cable system.
However, we cannot warrant or guarantee that set-top QAM tuners will work with your specific TV. Sometimes there are compatibility issues between the QAM tuner and specific television models. If you choose to purchase a QAM set-top cable box, be sure you understand return policies, shipping and taxes before making any purchase decision.
It’s often possible to buy a 19″ – 24″ TV with native QAM support for roughly $100 and often that’s a better option than adding a converter box to your existing TV.
- Ematic AT103 – Available online at Walmart, Target and Amazon, approx $30.00.
- Iview 3500STBII – Available online at Walmart and Amazon, approx $35.00.
- Pico Digital – HD-2.1 – Available online, approx $85. Recommended by cable provider.
- Proscan PAT102-B – Available online at Walmart and NewEgg, approx $30.00-$50.00