New this year, Montclair State University has launched Discovery Program tracks for Undeclared students. The tracks are broad categories that represent academic and career interests. A variety of majors offered at Montclair State fall into each broad category.
These tracks are meant to help guide you toward choosing a major, from any College or School at the University, which matches your interests, skills and values. Working closely with an academic advisor, you will narrow your options down to more specific fields of study.
You may be unsure of which one of Montclair State’s majors is right for you, but you will now have the opportunity to identify a general area of interest. Selecting a track will put you on a path toward identifying a major that is a good fit for you.
Once choosing your track in the Discovery Program, you will work with your academic advisors on major and career exploration. Through this process, you will be able to make a decision based on your values, interests, and abilities, and the majors and careers that await you.
Discovery Program Tracks
- Education, Service, & Society – for students who are interested in cultural and societal issues, students who enjoy volunteering, students who may want to become teachers
- Management & Industry – for students looking to manage or lead people, students who like to crunch data, students who may be interested in marketing or business
- Health, Wellness, & Medicine – for students who are interested in natural or social sciences, students who find emotional, mental or physical health very important to them, students who may want to pursue careers in the health care industry
- Arts, Culture, & Design – for students who are interested in arts and culture, students who enjoy creating, performing art, or teaching others about art and culture
- Technology & Innovation – students who are interested in new designs and developments, students who want to use their creativity, students who may want to pursue careers in science, art, or business
- Sciences & The Environment – students who are interested in how and why things work, students who want to find ways to preserve our environment, students who may want to pursue a science or math degree
- Undecided – for students who find themselves interested in everything, or not necessarily inspired by one area of interest
By selecting a track that matches your interests, you will begin learning more about related majors through learning communities, events with faculty, a New Student Seminar course, and personalized academic advising.
As a member of the Discovery Program, you will be assigned an academic advisor as soon as you deposit at Montclair State University. Your advisor will work with you throughout your exploration process.