Italian Immersion Course for College Credit
NEW! FULL IMMERSION ITALIAN COURSE for COLLEGE CREDIT
For updated information, please visit the Inserra page
Summer 2017 - Italian Program (Department of Spanish and Italian) and Inserra Chair in Italian and Italian American Studies at Montclair State University with the support of IACE (Italian American Committee on Education), New York.
- Open to rising seniors with demonstrated interest and achievement in Italian
- Earn 3 college credits while still attending HS through the dual enrollment program at Montclair State University
- Full-immersion course starting in July (3 weeks, 4 days a week, 84 hours of instruction including lunches and field trips to be conducted in Italian)
- Intensive language and culture course (7 hours a day of classroom and offcampus activities)
- Fun and interesting trips and activities outside the classroom: film screenings, museum visits (CIMA in Soho, NY), thematic walking tours (Renzo Piano architecture in New York), Italian-American heritage sites (Botto House in NJ), cooking lessons with Italian experts (Dolce Federica chocolate maker), etc.
- Experienced instructors and native speaker assistants
- Great preparation for senior advanced/AP Italian courses and AP exam
- Open to NJ, NY and CT students
- Cost: $750 (a unique price for the equivalent of 3 college credits!)
- Dates and time: July 10 to 27, 2017, Monday – Thursday (9:00am-4:00pm)
We are excited to be offering this brand-new program, which seamlessly links the high school and college learning experience. Its aim is to strengthen students’ preparation in their already solid school programs while also exposing them to an engaging college experience on a campus with an established and dynamic Italian program and in a profoundly Italian metropolitan area.
The pilot course will be fed by a consortium of high schools coordinated and conducted on the Montclair State University campus.
Original developers and coordinator: Patti Grunther (Italian teacher) and Brad Commerford (World Languages Supervisor).
Co-developers at Montclair State University: Teresa Fiore (Inserra Chair in Italian and Italian American Studies) and Marisa Trubiano (Associate Professor of Italian), Department of Spanish and Italian
Please direct questions and express interest to Patti Grunther