- Begin researching available programs.
- Review grad school guides/directories.
- Request promotional materials.
- Visit schools’ websites.
- Conduct information interviews.
- Meet with a career counselor.
- Identify which standardized admission test is needed for your particular program. You may consider enrolling in a test prep program such as one offered by Princeton Review or Kaplan.
- Begin to draft your graduate school essay.
- Continue to research schools and finalize your list of schools.
- Start networking with professionals to get a better idea of what type of commitment would be required by your chosen field.
- Identify professors who are willing to write letters of recommendation for you.
- Have people you trust review your graduate school essay and offer suggestions to improve it.
- Request your official transcripts to be sent to your schools of choice.
- Take the required standardized test no later than October.
- Have your test scores sent to the schools to which you want to apply. You can retake the tests if you are not happy with the results.
- Complete grad school application material.
- Drop off recommendation forms to those writing recommendation letters for you. Be organized! Set up folders for each school on your application list and keep copies of forms and letters in the folder for reference. Be sure to provide your references with a resume and a copy of your personal statement so they use this information in writing their letters for you. Also, provide them with a self- addressed, stamped envelope for their convenience.
- Be mindful of financial aid deadlines for each school.
- Submit your applications and supporting documents either via email or postal mail. Be sure to keep copies for your own records.
- Verify that letters of recommendation have been sent.
- If applying for financial aid, you will have to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) as soon as possible after January 1st.
- Now you will need to begin the wait for schools to decide on your application.
Good luck in your application process, and be sure to contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions about your application to graduate school.