How do I apply to a graduate program?
You may apply online at: http://www.montclair.edu/graduate/prospective/app.shtml.

I would like to speak with an academic advisor. Who should I contact?
Upon acceptance into the MAT/Post BA program in a K-12 subject area, students will be advised by both the subject area department and by the Department of Secondary and Special Education. For questions/concerns regarding subject area requirements, please contact the department's Graduate Program Coordinator as indicated on your acceptance letter. For questions regarding education (pedagogy) course requirements, please contact Susan Hagen, Department Administrator or Dr. Emily Klein, Graduate Program Coordinator in Secondary and Special Education. Ms. Hagen is available on a drop-in basis and can also be reached at (973) 655-6908 or via email at hagens@mail.montclair.edu. Dr. Emily Klein is available by appointment and may be reached at kleine@mail.montclair.edu.

Where is the Department of Secondary and Special Education located? When is it open?
The department is located on the second floor of University Hall, in the suite shared by the departments of Secondary and Special Education and Educational Foundations. The main desk is located in the front of the office suite, proximate to the offices of the Chairperson and the Department Administrator. The department is open from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. every day during the regular academic year. It is open from 8 a.m. to 5:15 p.m. Monday through Thursday during the summer.

I missed the deadline for my graduate application. Can I still take classes?
Montclair State University's Graduate School accepts applications on a rolling basis. Still, time is needed to fully process your application. If you feel your application process will not be complete prior to the start of a given fall or spring semester, you have the option to take up to two courses (6 credits) via Pre-Decision status before you are fully admitted to a graduate program. However, you must meet the following requirements:

  1. You must already have submitted Part A of the graduate application.
  2. You must submit an official transcript indicating that you have received an undergraduate or graduate degree with a minimum of a 3.0 undergraduate GPA.
  3. You must have already paid your $60 application fee.
  4. You must complete, sign, and submit a Pre-Decision status request form, which you can obtain from The Graduate School in College Hall Room 203, or online at: https://tokyo.montclair.edu/gradweb/forms/preadmitform.php. The processing of Pre-Decision requests begins in August for Fall applicants and December for Spring applicants. The graduate office will not consider your request prior to these dates.

Please note - several restrictions apply to Pre-Decision status students:

  1. You may not take more than six graduate credits, but these may be applied to your program if you are admitted and you obtain your advisor's approval.
  2. You will only be permitted to enroll in a course if space is available. Students who are already admitted to a graduate program are given priority.
  3. You must meet course prerequisite requirements (you can find these requirements in the Graduate Catalog).
  4. Pre-Decision status lasts for only one semester. You must finish the application process and be offered admission in order to register for further classes.
  5. No financial aid is available for Pre-Decision students.
  6. Students who hold or are seeking F-1 (student) visas are not eligible to take courses as a Pre-Decision student.
  7. IMPORTANT: If you are authorized to take courses as a Pre-Decision student, this does not mean you are guaranteed admission to a program. Once you have completed your application, it is reviewed using the standard criteria applied to all applications.

What are some things to keep in mind as I go through the program?

  • Fieldwork and Student Teaching: The last two semesters of the program are referred to as the professional year. The first semester of the Professional Year, students take Fieldwork which requires 60 hours of in-classroom observations to be completed over the course of the semester. The final semester in the program is full-time student teaching. All course work must be complete and passing scores on all required exams must be submitted in order to be eligible for student teaching.
    Logistics require that you sign up for the fieldwork experience the semester prior, so that the Center of Pedagogy can place you. Please keep in mind that the Center of Pedagogy places upwards of 400 students a semester. With this in mind they cannot consider preferences when it comes to your fieldwork, but every attempt is made to accommodate both students and cooperating teachers and schools.
  • Comprehensive Exam: For those students seeking a Masters of Arts in Teaching a comprehensive exam administered by the department is required. You must apply to take the exam by March 1st for the Spring semester exam and November 1st for the Fall semester exam in the Department of Secondary and Special Education, University Hall 2128.