The Office of Global Engagement staff at Montclair State University are available to assist international students through every stage of the journey from new applicant through to graduation.
If you are still completing a high school or secondary school education, or have completed high school or secondary school and not taken a college or university course, you may apply for admission as an international freshmen student.
Submit your application by clicking on the button below:
After you submit the application, you will see instructions for paying the $65 non-refundable application fee on the status page of your application portal. If you are applying to a program with an audition fee (Dance, Music, Music Therapy, Musical Theatre, Theatre), you will also see and be able to pay your audition fee through your status page.
Upload or mail your academic records from all secondary schools attended. If your transcripts, diploma, or any other academic documents are not in English, you MUST include an official English translation. Include any exam scores such as IB, AP, CAPE, IGCSE/A levels, 10th +12th.
International students, with the exception of those eligible for waivers (noted below), must submit proof of English proficiency. Students must submit one of the following as proof:
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL).
- Montclair State University’s TOEFL code is 2520.
- Minimum score of 70 (internet-based exam)
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS).
- Minimum score is 6.0
- Duolingo English Test
- Minimum score of 95
- Pearson PTE-A (Academic) Test
- Minimum score of 48
- ITEP (International Test of English Proficiency)
- Minimum score of 3.7
- SAT: minimum score of 480 EBRW (Evidence Based Reading and Writing)
- ACT English: minimum score of 22
Exemptions from English Language Proficiency requirement
The English Language Proficiency requirement can be waived if you meet one of the criteria listed below:
- Students who are citizens of or graduated from a high school in the United States, the United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, Anglophone Canada, the Bahamas, Anguilla, Antigua and Barbuda, Barbados, Bermuda, British Virgin Islands, Jamaica.
- Students who graduated from high school in any of the countries listed above or attended an international school that follows the educational system of any of these countries will be exempted from submitting a test of English proficiency. Students joining a school from a non-English speaking country (as per the above list) mid-stream are expected to be enrolled in non-ESL English courses consistent with their peers and should have a B average or better in English courses.
Complete and upload your Essay/Personal Statement. You will be able to upload your essay/personal statement prior to submitting your application. Essay prompts vary by major. You can view your major’s essay prompt here.
If you wish to submit a resume or list of extracurricular activities you’ve participated in for review, you can upload this document in your application or on your status page after submitting your application. Please note that a resume is required for Dance, Musical Theatre, and Theatre majors, but optional for all other programs.
Submit recommendation letter from a guidance counselor or teacher.
This can be completed on line through your admission application, or the letter can be mailed/faxed to:
Office of Undergraduate Admissions
Montclair State University
1 Normal Avenue, College Hall
Montclair, NJ 07043
Official SAT or ACT scores are optional. Students submitting SAT scores should enter our CEEB code (002520). Students submitting ACT scores should enter our ACT school code (2572).
The following documents will be required with the I-20 application:
- Copy of passport biographical page
- Proof of financial support. U.S. Immigration law requires that all international students on F-1 status demonstrate sufficient funds are available for their expenses PRIOR TO the issuance of Form I-20. More information available on the I-20 application
- Affidavit of Support Form completed and signed by Sponsor who will support your expenses
- Copy of sponsor’s bank statement. Statement must be in English and show the exact balance in the account