The Office of Global Engagement at Montclair State University is available to assist international students through every stage of the journey from new applicant through to graduation.
If you are taking or have taken a college or university course after graduation from high school, you may apply for admission as an international transfer student.
Submit your application by clicking on the button below:
Pay the non-refundable $65.00 Application Fee. After you complete the application you will see instructions for paying the fee.
*If you are applying to a program with an audition fee (Dance, Music, Music Therapy, Musical Theater or Theater), you will also see and be able to pay your audition fee through your status page.
An academic evaluation and English translation of all coursework completed in another country are required. Transfer students must submit an evaluation of their official high school transcript and a course-by-course evaluation of college-level work.
Submission/evaluation of the high school transcript is waived for applicants who have completed or will have completed an associate’s degree, or students who have completed 60 or more college-level credits at a four-year institution. Students with fewer than 30 completed college credits may also submit SAT and/or ACT score.
The evaluation must come from an organization affiliated with the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES). A listing of NACES member organizations is available at NACES.
International students, with the exception of those eligible for waivers (noted below), must submit proof of English proficiency. Students must submit one of the following as proof:
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL).
- Montclair State University’s TOEFL code is 2520.
- A minimum score of 70 (internet-based exam)
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS).
- A minimum score is 6.0
- Duolingo English Test
- Pearson PTE-A (Academic Test)
- A minimum score of 48
- ITEP (International Test of English Proficiency)
- A minimum score of 3.7
Exemptions from English Language Proficiency requirement
- Students who are citizens of or graduated from a high school in the United States, the United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, Anglophone Canada, the Bahamas, Anguilla, Antigua and Barbuda, Barbados, Bermuda, British Virgin Islands, Jamaica.
- Students who have satisfactorily completed at least 24 credit hours (not including ESL classes) at an accredited college or university in one of the countries listed above.
- Students who have satisfactorily completed the equivalent of College Composition I and College Composition II with a grade of ‘C’ or above at an accredited college or university in the U.S.
Essays are optional for most transfer applicants, however, certain majors require students to submit specific essay(s). You can view majors that require essays and their essay prompts here.
If you wish to submit a resume or list of extracurricular activities you’ve participated in for review, you can upload this document in your application or on your status page after submitting your application. Please note that a resume is required for Dance, Musical Theatre, and Theatre majors, but optional for all other programs.