International Undergraduate Transfer Students

The Office of Global Engagement at Montclair State University is available to assist international students through every stage of the journey from new applicant through to graduation.

If you are taking or have taken a college or university course after graduation from high school, you may apply for admission as an international transfer student. Even if you withdrew from the institution and received no credit, you should still complete the application for transfer admission. Review our Transfer FAQs for answers to some of the most commonly asked Transfer Admissions questions.

Application Deadlines:

  • Fall/August semester: June 1 *
  • Spring/January semester: November 1 *

* Suggested deadlines for students outside the U.S. International students currently in the U.S. may have additional flexibility.

Step 1
Online Application

Submit your application by clicking on the button below:

Submit the Online Application

Step 2
Application Fee

Pay the non-refundable $65.00 Application Fee. After you complete the application you will see instructions for paying the fee.

*If you are applying to a program with an audition fee (Dance, Music, Music Therapy, Musical Theater or Theater), you will also see and be able to pay your audition fee through your status page.

Step 3
Academic Evaluation

An academic evaluation and English translation of all coursework completed in another country are required. Transfer students must submit an evaluation of their official high school transcript and a course-by-course evaluation of college-level work.

Submission/evaluation of the high school transcript is waived for applicants who have completed or will have completed an associate’s degree, or students who have completed 30 or more college-level credits at a four-year institution. Although Montclair State University no longer requires SAT or ACT scores, students with fewer than 30 completed college credits may submit their scores if they would like them considered in the application process.

Students who have not earned an Associates degree or who have fewer than 30 credits must submit their secondary/high school academic transcripts/credentials/exam scores. For more information about these credentials, please see here.

The evaluation must come from an organization affiliated with the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES). A listing of NACES member organizations is available at NACES.

Step 4
Submit your English Language Proficiency test scores (if required)

International students, with the exception of those eligible for waivers (noted below), must submit proof of English proficiency. Students must submit one of the following as proof:

Exam Minimum Required Score School Code
TOEFL IBT (Test of English as a Foreign Language, Internet Based Test) 70 2520
IELTS (International English Language Testing System) 6.0
Duolingo 95
Pearson’s PTE-A (Academic) 48
ITEP (International Test of English Proficiency) 3.7
SAT (Scholastic Aptitude Test) 480 EBRW section
ACT (American College Testing) 22 English section 2572

Exemptions from English Language Proficiency requirement

*Note: Policy updated for the spring 2023 semester onwards

  • Students who are citizens of the United States.
  • Students who are citizens of one of the countries noted here.
  • Students who graduated from a high school in the United States, a U.S. territory, or any of the countries noted here.
  • Students who have satisfactorily completed at least 24 credit hours (not including ESL classes) at an accredited college or university in the United States, a U.S. territory, or one of the countries noted here.
  • Students who have satisfactorily completed the equivalent of College Composition I and College Composition II with a grade of ‘C’ or above at an accredited college or university in the U.S. or a U.S. territory.
Step 5
Personal statement/Essay and Resume/List of Co-Curricular Activities

Essays are optional for most transfer applicants, however, certain majors require students to submit specific essay(s). You can view majors that require essays and their essay prompts here.

If you wish to submit a resume or list of extracurricular activities you’ve participated in for review, you can upload this document in your application or on your status page after submitting your application. Please note that a resume is required for Dance, Musical Theatre, and Theatre majors, but optional for all other programs.