International Undergraduate Transfer Students

The International Admissions and Student Services at Montclair State University is available to assist international students through every stage of the journey from new applicant through to graduation.

If you are taking or have taken a college or university course after graduation from high school, you may apply for admission as an international transfer student.

Step 1
Online Application

Submit the Online Application

Please follow the link below to a guide for applying as an International Transfer:

International Transfer Application – STEP BY STEP GUIDE

Step 2
Application Fee

Pay the non-refundable $65.00 Application Fee. After you complete the application you will see instructions for paying the fee.

*If you are applying to a program with an audition fee (Dance, Music, Music Therapy, Musical Theater or Theater), you will also see and be able to pay your audition fee through your status page.

Step 3
Academic Evaluation

An academic evaluation and English translation of all coursework completed in another country are required. Transfer students must submit an evaluation of their official high school transcript and a course-by-course evaluation of college-level work.

The high school transcript requirement is waived for applicants who have completed or will have completed an associate’s degree in the U.S. Students with few than 30 completed college credits may also submit SAT and/or ACT score

The evaluation must come from an organization affiliated with the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES). A listing of NACES member organizations is available at NACES.

Step 4
Submit your English Language Proficiency test scores (if required)

International students whose primary language is not English, must show proof of English Language Proficiency as outlined below. Students must submit one of the following as proof:

Exemptions from English Language Proficiency requirement

The English Language Proficiency requirement can be waived if you meet one of the criteria listed below:

  • English is your native language and you are from a country that is exempt from the requirement.
  • You will have completed four consecutive years in a high school or university where academic English was the language of instruction for all courses (excluding foreign language courses)
  • You have graduated or will graduate from an international high school, or university with U.S. accreditation such as Higher Learning Commission (HLC) or Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS)
  • You have submitted an official SAT/ACT score report that meets the university minimum requirements
  • You have satisfactorily completed at least 24 credit hours (not including ESL classes) at an accredited college or university in the U.S.
  • You have satisfactorily completed the equivalent of College Composition I and College Composition II with a grade of ‘C’ or above at an accredited college or university in the U.S.
  • You have an associate or bachelor’s degree from a college or university in the U.S.
  • You have graduated or will graduate from a high school in the U.S. with three consecutive years of continuous enrollment

List of countries exempt from English Proficiency requirement

Step 5
Personal statement/Essay and Resume/List of Co-Curricular Activities

Complete and upload your Personal Statement/Essay. After submitting your application, you will find the prompt by clicking ‘Apply Online & View Applications’. Click ‘view’ under Supplemental items. This is also where you will be able to upload your essay directly to our system.

If you wish to submit a resume and/or list of extracurricular activities you have participated in for review, you should upload it as one document with your essay.

On the personal statement/essay provide a brief description of your educational goals. Be sure to explain any discrepancies that may be reflected on your transcript.

Students interested in sending a resume of extracurricular activities, volunteer work, internships, etc., can include it in the same document as their essay.

Step 6
Submit I-20 Application

I-20 Application

The following documents will be required with the I-20 application:

  1. Copy of passport biographical page
  2. Proof of financial support. U.S. Immigration law requires that all international students on F-1 status demonstrate sufficient funds are available for their expenses PRIOR TO the issuance of Form I-20. More information available on the I-20 application
  3. Affidavit of Support Form completed and signed by Sponsor who will support your expenses
  4. Copy of sponsor’s bank statement. Statement must be in English and show the exact balance in the account