Canvas is the University’s Learning Management System. It is used by instructors to publish course materials, create assignments and quizzes, foster interaction, and much more. Review our information below and visit our new MSU Canvas Faculty Orientation course.
Canvas Instructor Guides
- Canvas Instructor Guide
- Canvas Teacher Mobile Guide
- MSU Canvas Faculty Orientation
- Navigating the New Canvas Gradebook
Canvas for Faculty FAQs
- How do I log into Canvas?
- You may log into Canvas with your Montclair State NetID and Password.
- How do I access my courses?
- Courses you register for on NEST are automatically populated to your Canvas dashboard. Courses are automatically added to your Canvas dashboard every 24 hours.
While IT makes all courses available 3 business days prior to the start of the semester, all instructors reserve the right to publish and unpublish courses on their own.
- Are Canvas Guides available?
- Yes. Both the Canvas Instructor Guide and Canvas Student Guide are available at guides.instructure.com.
- Is there a Canvas Community?
- Yes! You may access the Canvas Community at https://community.canvaslms.com. When logging in, select “montclair.instructure.com” if you are not logged in automatically.
- Can I record and host my own videos on Canvas?
- Videos produced by instructor can be uploaded to Panopto and easily shared with Canvas.
- Is Canvas Support available on campus?
- Yes! The IT Service Desk is available to assist with Canvas. Call 973-655-7971, option 3 to be forwarded directly to a Canvas representative. Help is also available via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Can I receive Canvas training?
- Yes! Canvas training is available both in both face-to-face and online formats. Consult the ITDS Course Registration website to view and register for workshops.
- What version of Canvas are we on?
- Canvas does not use version numbers. All Canvas customers are always on the current version of Canvas. Canvas receives vetted updates every three weeks. For in-depth release notes, visit the Canvas Release Notes page for more information.