Loom is a freemium screencasting application for Windows and Mac machines (also available as a browser extension) that allows recording of your screen.
In reaction to the COVID-19 crisis, Loom made their “Pro” tier features free for verified student & teacher education accounts. Signing up using an MSU Gmail account will apply this tier to your account.
Loom can either be downloaded from their website as a standalone application, or it can be installed as a browser extension for Google Chrome. After installation, sign in with an MSU Gmail account to receive the free upgrade to Loom Pro.
Begin A Recording
Starting a recording is as simple as starting up the Loom application/extension. Loom provides a walkthrough tutorial the first time you log in, but additional documents are provided on how to record your video. Please take a look at the following if you need additional assistance:
- How do I start a recording? (Chrome extension version)
- How do I start a recording? (Desktop version)
- How do I record a presentation (Google Slide/PowerPoint) using Loom?
- How do I trim/remove segments of my recorded video?
- How do I share the videos I’ve recorded?
- How do I fix this issue and other troubleshooting tips
For anything not covered here, please take a look at the Loom FAQ page.