Montclair State University’s Federally Negotiated Indirect Cost Rate for research and sponsored programs on campus is currently 46% of a project’s modified total direct costs (see Montclair State’s Indirect Cost and Fringe Benefit Rate Agreement, dated October 27, 2021).
Indirect cost funds recovered from all sponsored research programs will be distributed according to the following schedule:
- General University Fund (Research Programs/Special Instruct./Training) – 30%
- School/College Dean’s Office – 15%
- Academic Department – 25%
- Principal Investigator (minimum share) – 10%
- Office of Sponsored Programs – 20%
For more information on how these funds may be used, see Budget Policies and Procedures manual (pg 22).
Specific questions about processes and procedures for indirect cost distribution should be directed to the Office of Grant Accounting.