The National Science Foundation requires electronic submission of proposals. The Office of Sponsored Programs will submit proposals to NSF using FastLane and Research.gov.
NSF has recently published a Pre-award and Post-award Disclosures Relating to the Biographical Sketch and Current and Pending Support table. This newly issued table identifies where pre- and post-award current and pending support disclosure information must be provided. Proposers and awardees may begin using this table immediately.
NSF has published the newest version of their Proposal and Award Policies and Procedures Guide, which will go into effect on October 4, 2021. In addition to a number of important changes and clarifications (a full list is available on NSF’s website), NSF now requires that the Biographical Sketches and Current and Pending Support sections be submitted using one of two NSF-approved formats: a fillable PDF available on NSF’s website and NIH’s SciENcv. Below you will find guidance, training, and templates for all the updates. If you have any questions, please contact email@example.com or reach out to your assigned pre-award officer.
The video tutorial below shows a complete walkthrough of creating both a Biographical Sketch and a Current and Pending Support section. Step-by-step instructions are also available for download. NSF has also published a set of SciENcv FAQs.
Research.gov and SciENcv Walkthrough
As NSF gears toward requiring Research.gov for most proposal submissions, this video tutorial provides PIs the opportunity to view the step-by-step process of creating a new proposal within the new NSF user-friendly system. PIs can also view how to create NSF’s Biosketch and Current & Pending Support documents in SciENcv during the second portion of this video tutorial.
- Proposal and Award Policies and Procedures Guide (PAPPG) For Proposals Due On or After October 4, 2021.
- NSF Proposal Preparation Quick Reference
- NSF Research.gov Proposal Submission Review Checklist
Processes and Procedures
- Merit Review
- Proposal Review and Processing
- Merit Review Facts
- Non-Award Decisions and Transactions
- Award Processing
- Serve As An NSF Reviewer
Templates and Samples
Below are various templates and samples for sections of an NSF proposal.
- Biographical Sketch Template and FAQs
- Results from Prior NSF Support
- Sample 1
- Sample 2
- Data Management Plan Guidelines
- Facilities, Equipment and Other Resources Sample
- Current and Pending Support Template and FAQs
- Collaborators and Other Affiliations (COA) Information Template and FAQs
- Sample Letters
- Letter of Collaboration Sample
- Letter from Dean Sample
- Letter from Chair Sample
- Postdoctoral Research Mentoring Plan Template