The National Science Foundation requires electronic submission of proposals. The Office of Sponsored Programs will submit proposals to NSF using FastLane and Research.gov.
NSF has published the newest version of their Proposal and Award Policies and Procedures Guide, which will go into effect on June 1, 2020. In addition to a number of important changes and clarifications (a full list is available on NSF’s website), NSF now requires that the Biographical Sketches and Current and Pending Support sections be submitted using one of two NSF-approved formats: a fillable PDF available on NSF’s website and NIH’s SciENcv. Below you will find guidance, training, and templates for all the updates. If you have any questions, please contact email@example.com or reach out to your assigned pre-award officer.
The video overview below, presented by OSP staff, covers a number of the changes made by the NSF. A slidedeck of the presentation is available for download.
The video tutorial below shows a complete walkthrough of creating both a Biographical Sketch and a Current and Pending Support section. Step-by-step instructions are also available for download. NSF has also published a set of SciENcv FAQs.
NSF Fillable PDFs
- Proposal and Award Policies and Procedures Guide (PAPPG) For Proposals Due On or After June 1, 2020.
- NSF Proposal Preparation Quick Reference
- NSF FastLane Proposal Submission Review Checklist
- Definitions of Basic, Applied and Developmental Research
- Submission of a collaborative proposal from multiple organizations
- Writing a Successful Proposal to NSF
- Faculty Early Career Development Program (CAREER)
- Major Research Instrumentation Program
Processes and Procedures
- Guidance: Addressing Human Subject Cash Incentives with NSF
- Merit Review
- Proposal Review and Processing
- Merit Review Facts
- Non-Award Decisions and Transactions
- Award Processing
- Serve As An NSF Reviewer
Templates and Samples
Below are various templates and samples for sections of an NSF proposal.
- Biographical Sketch (NSF Approved Format)
- Results from Prior NSF Support Samples
- Data Management Plan Guidelines
- Facilities, Equipment and Other Resources
- Current and Pending Support (NSF Approved Format) and FAQs
- Collaborators and Other Affiliations (COA) Information Template and FAQs
- Letter of Collaboration Template
- Research at Undergraduate Institutions (RUI) Impact Statements
- Postdoctoral Research Mentoring Plan Template