Graduate Application Procedure
To apply as an international graduate student, please follow these steps:
- Complete the online application.
- Send us your $60 non-refundable application fee. If you indicate on your application your interest to pay the fee online, you will receive a payment email within 3-5days after submitting your application. You can also send a check or money order made out to Montclair State University. Alternatively, you may pay the $60 application fee via wire transfer. To do so, please contact the Student Accounts Office at:
- Applicants that are from non-English speaking countries are required to submit proof of English proficiency. This proof can be achieved in a number of ways:
- Submission of an official TOEFL (Test of English as a foreign language) score of at least 83 on the Internet-based test or 550 on the paper-based test. Doctoral applicants need a minimum of 117 on the Internet-based test. Montclair State's code for test reporting is 2520.
- Submission of an official IELTS (International English Language Testing System) minimum score of band 6.5. Montclair State's code for test reporting is 2520.
- In lieu of the TOEFL or IELTS, applicants may submit one of the following:
- Official documentation of successful completion of Level 112 from any ELS Language Center worldwide
- Official documentation stating that they have graduated from an institution where English is the language of instruction
- Official documentation showing that they have completed 24 non-remedial credits from an accredited U.S. college or university
- Official documentation showing that they have completed a Master's degree from an accredited U.S. college or university
- If you are applying to a fully-online program, please note that you must a submit a TOEFL score of at least 87 on the Internet-based test or 230 on the Computer-based test. For IELTS test takers, the minimum required score is 6.5. Please note that applicants to fully-online programs are NOT eligible for English-language standardized test waivers.
- The Graduate School requires the equivalent of a US Bachelors degree in order to be eligible to apply for a graduate program. The Graduate School does not evaluate transcripts of non-U.S. degree programs and coursework. Please arrange to have your foreign transcripts evaluated course by course along with U.S. degree equivalency information by a member of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES) or by Educated Choices. To contact NACES members, please visit www.naces.org/members.html. To contact Educated Choices please visit http://educatedchoices.com/
Please note: Applicants who have an international education may not apply as a last-term senior.
- Take the graduate admissions exams required by the program to which you are applying.
- GMAT or GRE exam is required for School of Business programs. The Montclair State code for test reporting is 1T2-NK-86 for GMAT and 2520 for GRE.
- The GRE exam is required for all other programs. The Montclair State code for test reporting is 2520.
- All required test scores must be submitted to The Graduate School.
- You may qualify for a standardized test waiver. Click here for more information.
- For more information about the graduate application process, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org