Lighting Artwork by MFA student John Spano '16
Art and Design News

Adjunct Professor Anne Appert Publishes New Children’s Book

Posted in: Announcements

Anne Appert header image

Adjunct Professor Anne Appert, a rising star in the literary world, has recently achieved a remarkable milestone in their career: the publication of their new book with Harper Collins. Entitled, What If You Wish?, is a captivating book that has garnered widespread attention for its compelling illustrations and rich storytelling.

What If You Wish? is their second picture book with HarperCollins and is a lyrical exploration of the magic of wishing and the power of holding on to wonder through doubt. Anne was able to share the book with an event at Books of Wonder at March 9, 2024. They were joined by author Sandy Asher who shared her recently published book Sophie’s Monster Goes to Shul. They were both able to read their books and answer questions from the audience about our process.

“One of my goals with each of my books is to reach readers, young and old, who are on their own journeys towards becoming their most authentic selves. I hope readers can connect to my books in whatever way they need to, and I hope that the readers who need this book find a spark of hope in it.”

“It will always be important to share that this book, for me, is about my own queer journey, exploring the emotional roller coaster of self discovery and deciding to share your true self with the world. I hope that by letting my authentic self spill onto the page, my books become spaces for children to feel the hope and possibility of discovering themselves. I hope that they hear: you CAN wish, and you CAN hope, because an authentic future IS possible.”

— Anne Appert

Anne Appert (they/them) is a queer, nonbinary author/illustrator who spent their childhood with their nose stuck in a book, while their wild imagination transformed their New Jersey backyard into faraway places. Now, after receiving a B.F.A. in Illustration from the Fashion Institute of Technology, their imagination turns their dreams into words and pictures for children. Anne’s picture books include Blob and What If You Wish?, both from HarperCollins. They are also illustrating the chapter book series Zoomi & Zoe by Corey Ann Haydu, publishing with Quirk Books in 2025.

Anne received an honor in the 2021 Society of Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators (SCBWI) Winter Conference Portfolio Showcase and won the 2023 New England SCBWI Conference Portfolio Showcase. They currently volunteer as the Illustrator Coordinator for the NJ Chapter of SCBWI and as a mentor in the PB Rising Stars Mentorship Program. When not immersing themselves in the world of children’s literature, Anne teaches digital painting at Montclair State University.