A student who has failed to maintain F-1 student status and who wishes to return Montclair State must apply for and be granted reinstatement to F-1 student status by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). If you violated any of terms of your legal F-1 student status, please consult with OGE immediately.
How to apply:
- Make an appointment with an OGE advisor.
- Submit documents for a new reinstatement I-20.
- Once you have received the new I-20, you will need to complete I-539 form with the filing fee (the check should be made payable to Department of Homeland Security.) Write the word REINSTATEMENT on the top of the form.
- Gather the following documents:
- a copy of your most recent online I-94 record
- a copy of your previous I-20 form
- evidence of continued funding
- a written statement requesting reinstatement which explains that the violation of student status resulted from circumstances beyond your control and/or that the failure to be reinstated would result in extreme hardship. Any documentation that supports your claim should be attached.
Mailing Your Application for Reinstatement:
Please mail your application to the correct filing address for Form I-539 on the USCIS website.
As with all immigration applications, you should keep copies of all documents submitted. A decision to reinstate an individual to F-1 student status is completely at the discretion of the USCIS. If the application is approved, USCIS will mail a confirmation form with the approval decision. F-2 dependent status is automatically reinstated with the reinstatement of the F-1 student. Please inform OGE of the outcome.