F-1 Student Employment

F-1 students have several employment options available to them, as follows:

If you are experiencing severe economic hardship, please make an appointment with the Office of Global Engagement for specific information regarding the application process.

In order to work in an off-campus job, you must get permission from the Office of Global Engagement and from the Department of Homeland Security. Apart from a few limited exceptions (such as unremunerated work for a charitable organization), all off-campus work, both paid and unpaid, requires this authorization. Failure to obtain proper authorization for off-campus work constitutes a violation of F-1 status.