Now that you’ve been accepted to Montclair State, your next step is to enroll as a full-fledged Red Hawk. Use the checklist below for guidance.
Check your acceptance letter for your CWID and PIN. Your PIN is your six-digit birthday (MMDDYY). You will need them to submit your New Student Deposit.
To pay your deposit, use your Campus Wide ID (CWID) provided in your acceptance letter. Log in using your CWID (the eight-digit number) in the “Name” field and your PIN, which is your six-digit date of birth (MMDDYY), in the “Password” field.
- Fall 2022: Three weeks after acceptance
If your are planning to live on campus fall 2022, please submit your non-refundable housing deposit by May 1. Housing is guaranteed for fall 2022 transfer students who submit their housing deposit by May 1. Once we have processed your new student deposit and housing deposit, you may complete the online Housing Application. Click “Housing Assignments” to access the application.
Please allow 24-36 hours for your payment/s to be processed before moving on to Step 3.
Your NetID is your Montclair State email account login ID and your ID for other web-based University systems. Your NetID and instructions for how to activate it will be emailed to you 2-3 business days after you deposit. Please note, your NetID cannot be activated until you submit your new student deposit.
- Please activate your NetID one to two business days after you submit your new student deposit. Please note: As a new student, you should only choose the “CWID” or “SSN” related challenge questions. Please wait a minimum of 24 hours before attempting to access other University systems outside of NEST.
- Once your NetID is claimed, please log into Gmail to activate your Montclair State University email. This will be your firstname.lastname@example.org and your password will be the same you used to claim your Net ID above.
- Once your NetID has been activated, you will begin receiving communications to your Montclair State email account from your academic advisors and other University staff.
One week after you have deposited, you can make an appointment with your advisor to register for classes. Make sure to claim your NetID in the meantime – you’ll need to allow at least two business days after claiming your NetID before you can log into Navigate and see your advisor.
Your advisor, a professional staff member from your chosen College/School, will help you select your courses for your first semester at Montclair and provide you the PIN you need to register. Make sure to review your transfer credit evaluation before your appointment.
Montclair State University will be hosting a pre-fall Red Hawk Orientation program for all new students (freshmen and transfers) and their families! The Red Hawk Orientation is mandatory for all student populations including students participating in the EOF Summer Academy, the Summer Bridge Program, or any other bridge program. For more information, please visit our Orientation Experience website. We’ll email you with updates and specific information around May or June.
To learn how courses are transferred to Montclair State and to understand their course equivalencies, log into the NEST student services website. Enter your CWID and your PIN and click on “register for classes” at the top of the page. Please note: If you have already claimed your Net ID, you will use those credentials to log into NEST to view your Transfer Credit Evaluation.
Once logged in, go to the “Transfer Credit Evaluation” and click on “DegreeWorks.”
Your audit will be available for your review online shortly after you receive your acceptance notification.
Join us for our Transfer Pre-Advisement: How To Read My Transfer Credit Evaluation event for an overview on how to read your Transfer Credit Evaluation. We will discuss how transfer credits are accepted, how requirements are fulfilled, and the meaning behind posted attributes.
Learn more about our Transfer Credit Appeals Process.
The University has partnered with Med+Proctor to review students’ immunization documentation. Within 48 hours of activating your NetID (step 3 of the checklist), you will be able to access the Med+Proctor portal to upload your vaccination records. Immunization Requirements for Montclair students are viewable here. The COVID-19 vaccination, or an approved medical/religious exemption, is required for all Montclair State students. Please follow these steps:
- Submit all immunization documentation through Med+Proctor. (Please note, requests for medical exemption must be uploaded to MyHealthPortal.) Immunization records and requests for religious exemption must be submitted to Med+Proctor. You’ll need to create an account and will communicate directly with Med+Proctor regarding your immunization records and compliance status. Learn more about how to submit your immunization forms Via Med+Proctor.
- All full-time Montclair State students are required to have health insurance coverage. Montclair State will automatically enroll you in the Student Health Insurance Plan provided through the University. If you have private health insurance coverage, you must waive this enrollment by showing proof of other insurance. You can waive the enrollment and health insurance premium fee by going to University Health Plans and completing the waiver process. Deadlines will be posted once the fall semester begins. Please check your email at that time for updates.
Don’t delay! You may be de-registered from your courses if your vaccination records aren’t received by posted deadlines.
All full-time Montclair State students are required to have health insurance coverage. We will automatically enroll you in the University’s Student Health Insurance Plan.
If you have private health insurance coverage, you must waive this enrollment by showing proof of other insurance by going to University Health Plans and completing the waiver process. You will need to enter your CWID number with a uppercase “M” before the digits (i.e. m12345678).
For details about the Montclair State University Health Insurance Plan, visit our website.
Transfer students with fewer than 24 credit hours need to complete appropriate testing -or receive exemption -prior to registering for coursework.
Foreign Language Placement Testing:
All students at Montclair State University must complete the foreign language requirement to graduate. If your transfer coursework does not meet the foreign language requirement, you may need to complete the Foreign Language Placement Test. Learn more about the test.
Questions about Foreign Language Placement? Contact us for assistance.
Mathematics and Chemistry Placement Testing:
Placement tests are required for those interested in taking certain chemistry and mathematics courses. Placement tests are taken remotely at no cost to the student.
The following are required to take the Chemistry Readiness Test (CRT):
- Students interested in taking Chemistry 120: General Chemistry I
- Students majoring in:
- Earth and Environmental Science
- Exercise Science (Clinical and Pre-Professional Studies Concentration)
- Marine Biology
- Molecular Biology
- Sustainability Science
- Participants in the Pre-Medical Program
The following are required to take the Math Placement Test:
- Students interested in taking Calculus I (MATH 122) or Calculus A (AMAT 120)
- All undergraduate majors in the College of Science and Mathematics
- Students majoring in Exercise Science (Clinical and Pre-Professional Studies Concentration)
- Participants in the Pre-Medical Program
After claiming your NetID, you should take your placement test(s) as soon as possible in Canvas. The Chemistry Readiness Test is 35 questions long, and has a 60 minute maximum time limit. The Math Placement Test is 25 questions long, and has a 75 minute maximum time limit.
Once you have completed your placement test(s), you will be able to register for your math and/or chemistry course the following day.
Exemptions for placement tests may be considered for students with AP or transfer credit. Students that have taken Calculus in high school may also be exempt from the Math Placement Test. Questions about exemptions can be directed to your advisor or the CSAM Student Success Center. If you do not have access to these test(s) in Canvas or have questions about the Chemistry and Math Placement tests, please contact the CSAM Student Success Center at email@example.com.
Make sure your final official college and high school transcripts have been submitted prior to the start of the semester. An “official” final transcript comes to us directly from your originating institution, either in the mail or electronically. Your originating institution can submit your transcript electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org or they can mail it to us at:
Montclair State University
Office of Undergraduate Admissions
1 Normal Avenue
Montclair, NJ 07043
The high school transcript requirement is waived for incoming transfer students who have earned an associate degree or 60+ credits from a four-year institution.
We offer a number of tuition payment options to meet your needs. Find out when bills are generated and how to make your payments.