Course Registration for Inbound Exchange Students

2023-2024 Sister City Scholar Kushtrim Mehmeti during an outdoor lecture.

Montclair State University is proud to offer more than 300 doctoral, master’s and baccalaureate-level programs. From African American Studies to Visual Arts, our 10 degree-granting schools and colleges provide exciting academic challenges for 22,000 students.

As students visiting Montclair State University, you will have the opportunity to take classes and learn from world class scholars across the following schools at the university:

  • College of the Arts
  • College of Education and Human Services
  • College of Humanities and Social Services
  • College of Science and Mathematics
  • Feliciano School of Business
  • John J. Cali School of Music
  • School of Communication and Media
  • University College

This unique collection of schools provides wide breadth of classes that can pique any of your interests. Whether you want to learn about localized history or try your hand at creating your own pottery, Montclair State University promises to offer you an educational opportunity unlike any other. As an exchange student, our faculty and staff are excitedly waiting for you to join their classrooms and provide unique lenses to their fields of studies.

To learn more about these offerings and these requirements, please review the areas below.

Academic Programs and Requirements

Inbound Exchange / Visiting students, in most cases, may select courses in any of the University’s Schools and Departments. There are a few exceptions, for example:

  • Prerequisites must be satisfied for some higher level courses
  • English writing samples may be required for some classes
  • Portfolios may be required for some art classes
  • Auditions may be required for some music and theatre classes
  • Students are excluded from most accounting classes above the 200-level
  • MBA courses are not available to exchange students

Students work with Brooke Klinger, Program Associate Inbound Exchange and Campus Engagement, to register for classes in advance of their semesters of study. View the Course Catalog for a list of all available classes. To confirm if a particular class that interests you will be offered during your semester at Montclair State University, view the Schedule of Courses and search by term. Fall courses are published in early April. Spring courses are published in October. Note that International Inbound Exchange/Visiting students are allowed to only take one course taught fully online. 

Students from partner universities wishing to study at Montclair State University as an inbound exchange/visiting student must be nominated by their home university and may apply for one semester or a full academic year. Students must be in good academic standing at their home university. Contact your institution’s International Office or NSE Coordinator to apply. 

Graduate students are not being accepted for exchange at this time.

Unless exempt, foreign exchange students must demonstrate English language proficiency with these scores:

  • TOEFL iBT Test Minimum Score:70 (see
  • Minimum IELTS score of 6.0 (see
  • English3 Placement Test minimum 55 (see English3)
  • Duolingo test minimum: 95

Those exempt include: citizens of the U.K., Canada, and Australia, and/or have studied four years in their home country in English, and students from University of Agder, University of Graz, and Kristianstad University.

For Fall Admission, all materials should be received by early March. For Spring Admission, all materials should be received by early October. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis throughout the fall and spring semesters, but due to space constraints, there are limits to the number of exchange students from each university. Please also keep in mind the time required to secure a visa when applying.

Course Selections

Students work with Brooke Klinger, Program Associate Inbound Exchange and Campus Engagement, to register for classes in advance of their semesters of study. View the Course Catalog in NEST for a list of all available classes.

Note that international Exchange/Visiting students are not allowed to take more than one course taught online.

  • Fall Courses are published early April
  • Spring Courses are published in early October.

If you are unsure on how to read the class schedule and navigate these classes, please review this guide provided by Red Hawk Central.

Students should complete an Exchange/Visiting Student Course Request Form with approximately six classes. Students must register for a minimum of twelve credits and no more than eighteen credit hours. By including six courses on this request form, this maximizes our ability to get you into the classes that you desire the most for the upcoming semester. Students on average take between 12-15 credits per semester, or four to five full credit courses. 

Be mindful of prerequisites and note that even though every department is open to exchange/visiting enrollment, some courses have limitations. While the Office of International Academic Initiatives will try their best to accommodate you to reach your desired courses, there are instances where we may not be able to accommodate you. This includes but is not limited to: major restricted classes, limitation in seat numbers that cannot be challenged, and courses that are based on regional licensing standards.

Inbound Exchange Fillable Course Request Form

How to Find Classes for Your Course Request Form

How to Register for Classes Without a Permit

How to Look for Open Classes