Photo of young adults sitting in group drinking coffee and using their cellphones.

Passports and Visas


Students studying in a foreign country must have a valid passport. A passport is required for all students applying for a study abroad program. To apply for a passport, visit On Campus Passport Services in the Postal Services Department. Please allow several weeks prior to your departure (or prior to your visa appointment!) to ensure you have a valid passport.

To find more information about applying for or renewing a passport, visit the U.S. Department of State website.


Students who participate in a study abroad program through Montclair State University may be required to obtain a visa and/or resident permit to enter and study in their host country. Visa requirements vary by country and length of stay.

The Office of International Academic Initiatives cannot advise on specific visa requirements for each country.

It is very important that you understand the visa requirements for your specific program. Therefore, you are advised to take the following steps as you apply for and make arrangements to participate in your study abroad program:

  • Go to the website for the Embassy or Consulate of the country in which you will be studying.
  • Explore the requirements for a student visa based on your citizenship and length of stay in your host country.
  • Check with your program provider/host institution to get detailed instructions regarding requirements for your host country.
  • If a visa is required, gather all requested documents, materials and information.
  • Request any necessary letters or documents from the International Academic Initiatives Office and your program provider/host institution.
  • Make an appointment for an interview at the Consulate as soon as possible (if required)

Do Not Wait! Please begin exploring visa/resident permit requirements as soon as you know where you are going. While OIE cannot advise on the specific requirements of the more than 50 countries we work with, we are available to help direct you and to provide any necessary documents related to your participation in study abroad.