Helping to ensure the health and safety of Montclair State students abroad is one of the top priorities of the Office of International Engagement.
Before you travel:
- Download the Alert Traveler app and activate it by generating a password on the Alert Traveler box located on your Study Abroad application. Download is available from your Study Abroad application portal.
- Once downloaded, make sure you subscribe to the cities and countries you will be traveling to in order to receive security and safety alerts from those locations.
- Alert Traveler is offered free to all Montclair State study abroad students and provides detailed country information, real-time push risk alerts, destination-specific emergency numbers and easy communication.
International Travel, Medical, and Security Assistance Coverage:
- Be sure to enroll in the University’s contracted International Travel, Medical, and Security Assistance Coverage.
- Aetna OnCall provides some assistance and facilitation with overseas travel issues, arranging medical services, and facilitating evacuation in the event of an emergency. OnCall is not a health insurance policy. Please check the policy for information on specific benefits and limitation.
- Check whether your current health insurance provides coverage while overseas. If not, you may wish to purchase an overseas health insurance policy.
U.S. State Department Resources:
- Be sure to enroll in the U.S. Department of State Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP).
- Be familiar with whether there are any Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) Travel Warnings, Alerts or Watches.
- Be familiar with USA Study Abroad.
- Non-U.S. citizens should register with their country’s embassy at their destination.
Know where you are going:
- Find out information about the destination country on the U.S. Department of State website. This site also posts travel warnings issued by the U.S. government, as well as public announcements and consular information sheets.
- Country information can also be accessed via Alert Traveler.
Getting a Passport:
While Abroad, (in the event of a political, social or natural emergency) please access the following resources:
- Check for notifications and emails from Alert Traveler to stay up-to-date on security alerts from the country you will be traveling to.
- During emergency situations receive check-in requests from Montclair State University administrators. Through your AlertTraveler app, report your status: “I’m Safe” and “I Need Help.”
- Follow the advice of local authorities (local police, program providers, etc.)
- Check the U.S. Department of State security alerts for your location that you will receive through your STEP enrollment.
Aetna OnCall Assistance:
- Use the 24/7 emergency number on your Aetna OnCall plan for assistance, information and referrals. In an emergency contact Aetna OnCall.
Phone:1-866- 525- 1956 or collect 1-603- 328- 1956
The Office of International Engagement:
- As soon as possible, let your host program coordinator (if any) know that you are safe or if you need assistance.
- Contact the Office of International Engagement to let us know that you are safe and/or if you need assistance.
Contacting the Office of International Engagement
The Office of International Engagement will be in close contact with your program coordinator (if any), your family, and OnCall where needed.
Phone: 973-655-5222 (call this number after business hours)
During business hours, contact The Office of International Engagement:
Check your OnCall card and Alert Traveler for additional numbers.