Important Information For Inbound Exchange Students

As inbound student on exchange, there are several areas that you should be aware of prior to your arrival at Montclair State University. We have listed the key areas of focus for you to review prior to you beginning your studies at Montclair.

Visas, Health Insurance, and Payments

Students must apply for and receive a J-1 Visa to be eligible to study in the USA. After acceptance as an international Exchange/Visiting Student, you will be asked to submit a copy of a current passport and financial documents to demonstrate sufficient funding to cover programs cost and living expenses while in the USA. Proof of funding is required by the US government to be eligible to apply for a visa. Montclair State University will then issue form DS-2019 which confirms your acceptance into an Exchange Visitor Program. Further instructions are sent after acceptance.

For questions related to your status as an exchange student, please visit the Office of Global Engagement.

Montclair State University students are required to have health insurance. In addition, the US State Department requires that all J-1 Visa holders maintain health insurance that meets minimum standards through their entire stay in the US. Students will be automatically enrolled in and billed for the student health insurance.

Students can make payments by international wire transfer or by credit card (fee applies). Payments for housing and tuition (if applicable) are required by the first week of classes.


Identification and Immunization

Exchange/Visiting students will be provided with a Montclair State University ID card to use the library, computer labs, the recreation center and other campus resources. This card can also be used for dining services. 

All students are required to demonstrate that they have received the mandatory immunizations for Montclair State University. Many are available at our Campus Health Center. For the list of required immunizations, access the University Health Center’s Immunization Requirements:

Immunization Requirements


On-Campus Employment

International Exchange/Visiting students can apply for on-campus work, for up to 20 hours per week maximum during the semester, or full time when class is not in session. All such work must be approved by the Office of Global Engagement and students must apply for and receive a Social Security Number (SSN) prior to beginning work.


Important Links for Inbound Exchange Students