For information regarding coronavirus (COVID-19), please view Montclair State University’s official policy and message here.
The Office of International Academic Initiatives is committed to assisting Montclair State students with the protection of their own safety and health as they study abroad. Please access the following resources as you prepare to participate in the local culture of your host country.
- International Travel, Medical, and Security Assistance
Study Abroad students must be enrolled in Aetna On-Call Travel, Medical and Security Assistance coverage. This is not a health insurance policy. Students who already have health coverage from Aetna through Montclair State may activate this OnCall assistance coverage at no cost. Students on external health insurance plans must enroll in the standalone Aetna OnCall coverage for the period of time they are studying and traveling abroad. View Policy Information here. On-Call is a travel, medical and security assistance policy with limited coverage. Please review plan details.
- Health Insurance Abroad. Montclair State encourages all students going abroad to check with their provider prior to departure to determine whether they have any health insurance coverage while abroad. If not, students may choose to purchase an overseas health insurance policy.
- General Health and Safety Guidelines
This web page provides health and safety tips and resources that students can use prior to departure and while they are abroad.
- Monitoring World Events
Montclair State monitors all public announcements and travel warnings issued by the U.S. State Department and Alert Traveler. This page provides an overview of the precautionary procedures that the International Academic Initiatives Office follows when such a posting is issued.
Additional resources on health and safety abroad can be found here: Students Abroad – Health and Safety
All study abroad students have access to advisors and resources for health and safety information. IAI provides pre-departure orientations for all study abroad students before leaving campus. While we remain a resource to students before, during and after their time abroad, we emphasize that students must take personal responsibility for their own safety, security and well-being while abroad.
Although no one can guarantee completely a student’s safety, security and well-being—at home or abroad—there are steps each student can take to mitigate risk and make the most of the experience. We strongly recommend that students carefully read through the information and resources we have provided in this section of the website.
Strategies for Staying Safe
Your health and safety abroad depend both on what is happening around you as well as the responsible decisions you make before you leave and while you’re abroad. Prioritize your health and safety above all else when making decisions.
- Register with the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) and AlertTraveler.
- Download AlertTraveler.
- Attend Montclair State University pre-departure sessions and orientation sessions at your host institution.
- Access the Learning Content in your Study Abroad application portal.
- Prepare in advance for known medical conditions and medication needs.
- Trust your instincts.
- Keep your cell phone charged and with you.
- Carry contact information for your program staff and the in-country, 911-equivalent emergency number(s).
- Remain alert to your surroundings, even if you become uncomfortable.
- Know what activities are culturally and legally appropriate.
- Stay informed about current events in your host country. Learn to assess unfamiliar situations and possible risks in your new country.
- When traveling away from your program site, make sure that your program staff and/or friends know where you’re going and when you’re expected to return.
- Avoid demonstrations, or if you find yourself caught up in one, stay far from the center of activity.
- Stay away from high crime areas, and if out at night, make sure you and your friends have a safe way home. Avoid walking alone at night whenever possible.