Today’s early childhood and elementary classrooms are more diverse than ever. Nearly one in five students in New Jersey’s public schools comes from a home where a language other than English is spoken. Many of these students are in the process of learning English as a second language and require expert teacher support to achieve their potential in school. School districts are seeking teachers with this expertise.
The TELL minor will provide candidates planning to teach in general education or inclusive education classrooms with the specialized knowledge and skills to work effectively with students who are English Language Learners. Through a series of six classes taken alongside your Early Childhood (P-3), Elementary Education (K-6), Dual Degree/Dual Certification Inclusive Education, or P-12 Subject Area certification courses, you will learn:
- How children in early childhood and elementary education settings acquire English as a second language and how to support this process using developmentally appropriate teaching practices
- How to support literacy development and meet the rigorous Common Core English Language Arts standards with young bilingual students
- How to teach academic content in English in ways that build success across the early childhood and elementary curriculum
- How to bridge cultural differences and build strong partnerships with ELL families
The TELL minor can be taken with any approved P-3, K-6, Dual Degree Dual Certification or Subject Area teacher education major. All TELL courses will be held fully online.
Additionally, courses in the TELL Minor Program are open to students who do not plan to enroll in the minor, but who are nonetheless interested in enhancing their knowledge and skills in working with ELL children. Students wishing to enroll in a single TELL course should contact the TELL program coordinator for further details.
The TELL minor can be taken with any approved P-3, K-6, Dual Degree Dual Certification or Subject Area teacher education major.
Requirements for enrollment in the TELL minor:
- Admission to a Montclair State teacher education program
- Completion of TELL Online Enrollment Form (PDF)
The first cohort of TELL Minor students was welcomed into the program beginning in the fall semester of 2014.