A student sitting down in a lounge chair working on her laptop in a colorful room.

Academic Regulations


Attendance Final Examinations Prerequisite Courses
Auditing Courses Grades & Standards Repeated Courses
Cancellation of Course & Staffing Graduate Thesis/Thesis Extension Standards for Academic Progress
Course Overlap Graduate Credit Course-Undergraduates Student Course Load
Credit Hours Independent Studies Student Responsibility
Enrollment Verification  Pass-Fail Grading Policy Withholding of Student Records

Students are expected to fulfill all course requirements and although attendance is not always mandatory, it is desirable. Absence from laboratory or studio sessions shall be by agreement with the instructor. Instructors should notify the students in writing of the attendance requirements for each course. Professors may penalize the students for failure to meet the specific attendance requirements. Students who register are considered enrolled in their course(s) regardless of attendance. Refunds will only be processed, according to the deadlines published in each semester’s Schedule of Courses book. Students not following this procedure will be charged for all course(s) in which they are registered.

Lack of attendance does not constitute a basis for a refund or withdrawal from a course(s).

Auditing Courses
To “audit” a course is to attend class regularly, without the obligation of participating in class discussions, laboratory work, examinations, performances, or any class activity other than listening. Students that audit a class will be billed the required tuition and fees. They are not eligible for any type of Financial Aid. Any student electing the audit option must complete an Audit Application and return it to the Office of the Registrar prior to the end of the third week of the semester for regularly scheduled courses or its equivalent for short term courses and other courses that meet less than full term. Audit Applications are available in the Office of the Registrar in Red Hawk Central or on the Forms page.

Deadline for filing an Audit Application can be found on the Important Dates page.

Cancellation of Course & Staffing
The University reserves the right to cancel any course for which the enrollment is insufficient. Students may register without penalty for another course of equal credit or receive a full refund of tuition and fees. The University also reserves the right to change faculty assignments, and therefore cannot guarantee students the faculty of their choice.

Course Overlap
Course registration overlaps may be permitted with written approval of the instructors of both courses as well as the approval of the Dean(s) and Chairperson(s) responsible for the instructional areas. Students must submit written approval to the Office of the Registrar in order to register for overlapping courses; the student or his/her representative must do this in person. Course overlap forms are available in the Office of the Registrar in Red Hawk Central or on the Forms page.

Credit Hours

Academic credits are awarded on the semester hour (S.H.) basis.   One semester hour, usually representing 50 minutes of class activity per week for 15 weeks, is equal to one (1) credit. Semester credit hour may also be defined as 150 minutes of academic work each week for 15 weeks in one semester, which is typically accomplished by 50 minutes of face-to-face class activity each week complemented by at least 100 minutes each week of laboratory or outside assignments (or the equivalent thereof for semesters of different length). It may also be accomplished through an equivalent amount of academic work which may include additional class time, laboratory work, internships, practical studio work, and other forms of academic work.

The departments of Art and Design, Theatre and Dance, and Music adhere to the following formulas for determining course credit hours in conjunction with their discipline-specific accrediting bodies.

Enrollment Verification
The Office of the Registrar, upon receipt of a signed request from a student or in person upon presentation of identification, will provide an enrollment certification letter. An enrollment certification letter will reflect either the enrollment history or an individual semester. It will also reflect any Montclair State University degrees earned, enrollment status, academic program and anticipated of graduation. This is no charge for an enrollment certification letter. Certification of Enrollment Request forms are available in the Office of the Registrar in Red Hawk Central or on the Forms page.

Final Examinations
All final examinations must be given during the regularly scheduled examination periods. The days and times of final examinations may be found on the Final Exam Schedule page.

No final examination may be given during the last week of classes before the examination period. If no formal examination is scheduled, the class must meet for one hour during the scheduled final examination time for a class evaluation session. Thus, all classes are required to meet during the examination period.

Grades and Standards

Graduate – Thesis/Thesis Extension

Graduate Credit Course – Undergraduates
Montclair State seniors who have completed 105 semester hours of the bachelor’s degree requirements, who possess at least a 3.00 grade point average and have taken all required prerequisites, may apply to take up to 6 hours of 500 level courses for either undergraduate or graduate credit. A graduate course taken for undergraduate credit cannot later be included in a graduate degree program. If courses are taken for graduate credit, graduate tuition and fees will be charged. Appropriate forms are available online on the Graduate website and must be submitted in person in the Office of the Registrar by the student or his/her representative. Admission of an undergraduate to a course that yields graduate credit does not imply future acceptance into any graduate program. That can only be done by a separate admissions process. Those planning to matriculate in graduate programs at the University should refer to the Graduate School website for specific admission requirements.

Independent Study
Montclair State University offers opportunities for students to undertake academic credit on an independent study basis. Independent study courses will require an Independent Study form. This form may be obtained from the Office of the Registrar in Red Hawk Central or on the Forms page.

The student must process registration for these courses in person in the Office of the Registrar. This form must be completed in full and approved by the instructor and the Department Chairperson prior to registering. THE FULL COURSE NAME, SUBJECT CODE AND COURSE NUMBER ARE REQUIRED on the form.

Pass-Fail Grading Policy

Pass-Fail Grading Policy is available on the Policies website.

Deadline for rescinding a Pass/Fail application can be found on the Important Dates page. NO CHANGES MAY OCCUR AFTER THIS POINT.

Prerequisite Courses
IT IS THE STUDENT’S RESPONSIBILITY to satisfactorily complete a prerequisite course before scheduling a dependent course. Students will not be permitted to register for a course for which the prerequisite has not been met.

Repeated Courses

The policy of Montclair State University does not allow undergraduate students to repeat, more than twice, a course in which a grade of “F” was earned.  The Dean of each College and School will have the discretion to make exceptions to this policy in special cases and extenuating circumstances. Graduate students who receive a grade of “F” are not permitted to repeat the course.  The Dean of The Graduate School will have the discretion to make exceptions to this policy in special cases and extenuating circumstances. This policy became effective as of September 1, 1997, and applies to all students regardless of their date of entry to Montclair State University.

Courses in which the student received grades of “C-” or higher cannot be repeated for credit. If a course in which the student previously earned a grade of “C-” or higher at Montclair State University is repeated at Montclair State University (other than on an official Audit basis–see section on Auditing Courses) the second grade will be posted as NC (No Credit).  It is the student’s responsibility to ensure that his/her registration does not include ineligible courses.

To repeat a course, a student must register and make payment for that course.  Courses must be repeated prior to graduation. There is no special approval required to repeat a course in which a grade of “WD”, “D-,” “D” or “D+” was received.  Where a course is no longer offered, the Dean of the College or School, in consultation with the Department Chair, shall designate an appropriate replacement course.  A COURSE REPEATED AT ANOTHER INSTITUTION DOES NOT REMOVE AN “F,” “D-,” “D” or “D+” AT MONTCLAIR STATE.

When a course has been repeated, both the original and subsequent courses are included on the permanent record, but the credit is counted only once. The grade received in the repeated course becomes the official final grade.

Repeated Courses – Graduate Students

Students who receive a grade of “F” in a course are not permitted to repeat that course. The Graduate Program Coordinator will have the discretion to make exceptions in special cases and under extenuating circumstances. The Graduate Program Coordinator will forward the decision to The Graduate School for approval.

In those cases when the course is repeated, a change will be made on the student’s transcript by replacing the original “F” grade with “RF.” The original “F” grade is removed from the GPA calculation and replaced with the new grade.

Please be advised that if the student completes a course previously failed without permission, a grade of NC (No Credit) will be posted.

Additional information is available on the Graduate School website.

Standards for Academic Progress/Retention Undergraduate

Transcript Notation

  1. Students suspended from the University, as a result of academic standings, will have a notation placed on their transcript. If the student re-enrolls, remains in good academic standing and completes the requirements for graduation, the student may request removal of the notation at the time he/she files for graduation. Requests must be submitted to the Office of the Provost. The Provost, in consultation with other University officials, will make the final decision regarding removal of the notation.
  2. Students dismissed from the University, as a result of academic standings, will have a notation placed on their transcript. The notation is permanent.
  3. Notation will read as “Academic Suspension” and “Academic Dismissal” respectively.

Graduate Students Probation / Dismissal 

Student Course Load
Full-time Undergraduate Students
Full-time undergraduate students should earn 15-16 credit hours per semester. Special permission is required to take a Course Overload of more than 19 credit hours. To be considered a full-time student one must register for and continue active enrollment in at least 12 semester hours for the entire semester.

Full-time undergraduate students who have at least sophomore standing (30 credit hours earned) and a 3.0 or above cumulative grade point average for the semester most recently completed may, upon the approval of the Dean of the College/School in which the student is majoring, register for a Course Overload. A College/School Dean may make exceptions to the above eligibility criteria for a Course Overload. Requests for Course Overloads of 23 or more credits must additionally be approved by the Director of University College. All registrations for Course Overloads are on a space available basis and must be processed in person in the Office of the Registrar. The University reserves the right to reduce the course load of any student who registers for more than 19 credit hours without Course Overload approval. Forms are available in the Office of the Registrar in Red Hawk Central or on the Forms page.

Part-time Undergraduate Students
Part-time undergraduate students are students who are registered for less than 12 semester hours.

Full-time Graduate Students
All full-time graduate students must register for a minimum of nine (9) credits per semester, with a maximum of fifteen (15) credits allowed. For further information, visit the Graduate School website – Policies and Procedures.

Part-time Graduate Students
Part-time graduate students must be registered for eight (8) or fewer credits a semester. For further information, visit the Graduate School website – Policies and Procedures.

Continuous Matriculation
For information, visit the Graduate School website – Policies and Procedures.

Student Responsibility
The University reserves the right to terminate the enrollment of any student whose conduct, class attendance, academic record or financial obligation should prove unsatisfactory.

Withholding of Student Records
The release of diplomas and transcripts will be withheld for students who have a financial obligation to the University (e.g. library, parking, loans, etc.)