The Collection Office, within the Office of Student Accounts, is responsible for the recovery of monies owed to Montclair State University. This collective debt includes outstanding student account balances for past semesters. The student is responsible for payments of the resulting tuition, fees, and any other balance incurred after financial award(s) or student loan(s) may have been granted. Regardless of any expected reliance on any third-party resource, including but not limited to financial aid, family gifts, employer reimbursement or any other external resource.
If an account is in a delinquent or defaulted status, a financial hold is placed on the account. Any request for transcripts, re-admission, diplomas and/or certifications are denied until the delinquency or default has been satisfied. Students are expected to pay their outstanding balance in full or establish a payment plan with Montclair State University. If the student’s financial commitment to Montclair State University becomes delinquent at any time, the Office of Student Accounts may send notification to the student’s Montclair State email and/or mailing address on file. It is the student’s obligation to update any address Montclair State University has on record. Financial obligations include but are not limited to tuition, room, board, course fees, parking fines, library fines, residence hall fines and any special fees or fines charged to a student’s account. If any notice is returned by the post office, the student account will automatically be placed with a collection agency.
Past Due Collections
The Collections Department, within the Office of Student Accounts, is responsible for the recovery of monies owed to Montclair State University. Once you have registered for classes, you are responsible for all charges associated with that semester posted to your account and available for viewing on NEST. Term invoices were mailed twice a month, on the 1st and 15th, to your Montclair State University email address. The invoice was an attachment to the message. All current students must have an activated email address.
You have a financial responsibility to pay your balance by the published due date. You are also required to ensure your permanent address, phone numbers, and personal emails are up to date. All Montclair State University students are required to read and electronically sign the Montclair State University Financial Responsibility Statement before registration for each semester, session, or term. Your electronic signature is legally binding and serves as your acknowledgment of the terms set forth.
During the time of delinquency:
- A financial hold is placed on your account, resulting in a denial of registration, requests for transcripts, re-admission, viewing grades on NEST, diplomas, and/or certifications until the balance is satisfied.
- The Office of Student Accounts will work with the University’s pre-collection service provider, Heartland ECSI Recovery Select will contact you on our behalf for a period of approximately three months (90 days). Recovery Select is not a collection agency.
- Students are encouraged to discuss their balance owed with Heartland ECSI Recovery Select. Our partner has access to your balance due and can suggest payment options. If the discussion needs to be escalated a Recovery Select representative will reach out to the Office of student Accounts.
- Recovery Select will communicate via phone and invoices mailed to the permanent address on file with MSU.
- Our pre-collection servicer, Heartland ECSI Recovery Select, will work with MSU students to avoid being placed with a collection agency and the potential for additional fees added to your balance owed.
- If the account is not paid in full or a payment plan is not established, the past due balance will be placed with a third-party collection agency. Additional fees will be added to the balance.
Pre-Collection Agency Contact Information for Student:
- Heartland ECSI Recovery Select
PO Box 1238
Wexford, PA 15090-1238
COLLECTION AGENCY ASSIGNMENTS
Collection agency assignments may be to one of the agencies listed below. Once the account is placed they will begin active collection measures according to their specific procedures. This may include agency representatives contacting you directly using a series of letters and or phone calls. Once the account has been placed with a third-party collection agency, you must contact the assigned agency directly to resolve the balance and/or make payment arrangements. Payment and arrangements can no longer be made with Montclair State University. You will know if you are placed with an agency because your hold, viewable on NEST, will change to Collections (SC) Hold. To find out which agency you are with contact Red Hawk Central. Accounts assigned to a collection agency will be reported to the credit bureaus as past-due which may negatively impact your credit score. Also, in order to satisfy a past due balance that has been placed with a collection agency, the student will also be liable for any collection agency fees, applicable attorney’s fees, and any other fees which are typically 20%-40% of the amount placed in collection.
Collection Agency Contact Information for Students:
Reliant Capital Solutions, LLC
P.O. Box 30469
Columbus, OH 43230
P.O. Box 2876
West Monroe, LA 71294
380 Main Street
Salem, NH 03079
*Contact Information – Only for Parking Services*
P.O. Box 69703
Harrisburg, PA 17106