We have a variety of loan program links below where you can find an in-depth explanation of each loan program:
- Loan requirements.
- Application process.
- Loan limits.
- Interest rates.
For loan application assistance visit the Student Loans website.
Types of Loans
Federal Stafford Loans (Student)
The Stafford Loan is obtained by filling out the FAFSA and is part of the federal Federal Student Aid Program.
Federal Parent PLUS Loans (Parent)
The Office of Student Financial Aid strongly recommends students borrow through the federal Stafford loan program first, before considering a Parent PLUS loan. The Parent PLUS Loan is a loan that is available to the parent of a dependent student deemed by the FAFSA application. Review the Private Educational Loan option below in lieu of the Parent PLUS loan. You may qualify for a lower interest rate and $0 origination fee, so compare both options when looking to fund the remaining costs of a Montclair State education.
Federal Graduate PLUS Loans (Graduate Student)
Graduate students working on a master’s degree and beyond may apply for this loan through the Federal Student Aid Program. The same terms and conditions apply to this loan that apply to the Parent PLUS loan. (Students in a post-baccalaureate certificate program do not qualify for this loan.)
Private Educational Loans (Student and/or Parent)
The Office of Student Financial Aid strongly recommends students borrow through the federal Stafford loan program first, before considering a private educational loan. Please know approval for these loans is credit based for the borrower, which can be the student, parent or both. You may consider a private educational loan in lieu of the Federal Parent PLUS loan.
Information and Policies
- The amount you are eligible to receive from the federal Stafford loan program is listed on your award notification on NEST.
- Students who are graduating, withdrawing or are less than half time must complete Exit Counseling.
- Financial aid recipients who enter into an agreement regarding a Title IV HEA loan (Stafford, PLUS, Grad PLUS, Perkins or TEACH) will be submitted to the National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS) and will be accessible by authorized agencies, lenders and institutions.
- The Federal Student Loan Ombudsman is a neutral, informal and confidential resource to help resolve disputes about your federal student loans.
Loan Repayment Information
- Wondering about how you will repay your loans?
- Do you have questions about your repayment options?
- For more information about loan repayment, check out our Loan Repayment information page for more details.