campus at night.

Frequently Asked Questions

Are the GRE’s or any other tests required?

No. Check our page on How to Apply.

When are the courses offered?

Two courses are offered in the fall and two courses are offered in the spring. Summer and Winter courses are not available for this program. Go to NEST for the current schedule.

Which courses should I take first?

Students starting in the fall take Survey Research and/or Interviews and Focus Groups first. They take their remaining courses in the following semesters. Students will also speak to an assigned academic advisor about their schedule.

Are classes offered online?

Most classes are fully online for the 2020-21 academic year. Normally we offer a mix of face-to-face and online courses.

Are the online courses synchronous or asynchronous?

We offer both modalities. Often students that miss a synchronous class can watch a recording.

When are classes held?

All classes are held on Monday – Thursday at 5:30pm or later.

Are special events offered for students?

Yes. Students in the program get to know one another and their professors very well. We offer lectures and workshops and other gatherings every year.

When can I begin?

Students may begin in a fall semester or a spring semester.

How long does it take to complete the certificate?

With a fall start, students can finish in 2 semesters. With a spring start, students can finish in 3 semesters.

Where can I find the schedule of course offerings?

Go to NEST for all current course listings.

Can I use these courses for credit toward a Master’s Degree?

Yes. All 4 courses count toward the Master’s Degree in Social Research and Analysis. This requires a separate application.

Can I try the program out as an undergraduate?

Yes. Some advanced students with 105 undergraduate credits completed may take up to two courses before they graduate. Tuition is charged at the graduate rate, but courses count toward both the Certificate and the MA in Social Research and Analysis. Use this form to take graduate courses as an undergraduate.

When will students in the 5-year MA program Social Research and Analysis earn the Certificate?

Most will earn the certificate at the end of their undergraduate program.

I am a graduate student in another program. Can I register for courses, and can I earn the Certificate?

Yes, when space is available. Ask your department if they can count for elective credit. If you apply for the certificate and get approved, you can also earn the full Certificate. As a student in another program, the application fee is waived.

Is there an application deadline?

No. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis.

Contact Information

For information, email

For questions about the application process, contact The Graduate School at or 973-655-5147.

How much does it cost?

The program requires the completion of 12 graduate credits.  View the current rates of graduate courses per credit here.

Are there any Information Sessions?

Yes. Check here for Information Sessions or visit us at Graduate Open House. Attendees save $60 on their Application Fee.

How do I apply?

Apply here.