Curricular Practical Training (CPT)

What is it?

  • Curricular Practical Training (CPT) is off-campus employment authorization for employment a student is required to do to successfully complete a course. CPT is an integral part of the established curriculum and part of a course that:
    • Is published in the college catalog/bulletin.
    • Has a course number, and the student registers for it.
  • The Code of Federal Regulations describes CPT as “Alternate work/study, internship, cooperative education, or any other type of required internship or practicum which is offered by sponsoring employers through cooperative agreements with the school” [8 CFR 214.2(f)(10)(i)].

Eligibility Requirements

  • Be a full-time student in F-1 status for at least one academic year (one fall and one spring semester).
  • Get approval from your academic advisor.
  • Be enrolled in a course (either in your major or the Cooperative Education program) that requires paid or unpaid employment. The course must be at least one credit.
  • Have an employment offer letter for a job directly related to your major.
  • Be enrolled in a full-time course load (9 credits for graduate students, 12 credits for undergraduate students) for the semester you will do CPT, unless it is during the summer (and summer is not your final semester of study)
  • Be in lawful F-1 status at the time of the CPT application

Employment Limits

  • Part-Time (20 hours per week or less) – No limit
  • Full-Time (more than 20 hours per week) – 364 days. Please be aware that doing 365 days or more of full-time CPT will cancel your eligibility for Optional Practical Training (OPT).
  • Fall/Spring Semester CPT – The Office of Global Engagement will only approve jobs located within a reasonable commuting distance from campus to ensure your continued attendance in on-campus courses. Long-distance jobs can be approved during the summer unless you will complete your degree during a summer term, in which the aforementioned rule applies.

Application and Additional Information

As a mandatory prerequisite to the CPT application, and for a full review of Montclair State University’s CPT policies, please read our CPT FAQ in its entirety.

To apply for CPT, please review and follow the steps outlined on our CPT Application.