Students may have eligibility for summer aid based on their registration status and the amount of aid received during the academic year (fall/spring). Please review each section below for more details
Enrollment is verified to determine aid eligibility and disbursement.
- Students registered in additional credits or for more than 8 weeks during the summer may qualify for an increase in their estimated cost of attendance (COA).
- Students registered for less than half-time are not eligible for federal student loans.
There is no differential tuition and fees charge for in-state or out-of-state Undergraduate students for the summer.
- You must be federally eligible to receive federal grants and/or loans during the summer term. Loss of federal eligibility will make you ineligible during the summer.
- Satisfactory Academic Progress will be reviewed at the end of the spring term. Students not meeting Satisfactory Academic Progress will not be eligible to receive or keep federal aid during the summer term.
- Non-matriculated or Visiting Students are not eligible for ANY federal grants or federal loans. Private Educational Loans are the only student loan option for assistance.
- If your enrollment drops to less than half time, your federal and some private loans will be canceled and you will be responsible for the unpaid balance.
- If you do not complete your courses, you may lose some or all of your funding and you will owe the University.
- If you are not enrolled in any summer classes, you are not eligible to receive financial aid, even if you are living on campus.
- Disbursement of aid will only occur on June 30th. You cannot rely on having your financial aid funds available to pay for other expenses (e.g. rent, bills, etc.) beforehand.
You may be eligible to receive a Pell Grant if you have remaining eligibility. For example:
- If you did not attend any school in the fall and attended Montclair full-time in the spring, or
- If you took less than 12 credits in either or both the fall and spring semester(s) at Montclair, you may have remaining Pell eligibility for summer, or
- If you are registered for at least 6 credits, Year-Round Pell is available
Pell Grant eligibility will be awarded automatically for all students with a current year FAFSA on file. All Pell Grant funding counts toward your Pell lifetime limits.
Summer Work Study
- Federal Work Study is not offered during the summer sessions.
Federal Stafford Loans
- You must be a matriculated student enrolled at least half-time to qualify for Federal Stafford Loans.
- 6 credits undergraduate and teacher certification students
- 4.5 credits graduate students (Master’s degree and beyond)
- You must have remaining Federal Stafford loan eligibility. For example:
- If you did not attend any school in the Fall and only borrowed part of your federal loans in the Spring term or
- You did not use all of your Federal Stafford loans for the academic year. For students who have used all of their Stafford loan eligibility, there are other loan types to consider:
- Dependent undergraduate students may have a parent apply for a Federal PLUS loan.
- Graduate Students (Master’s degree and beyond) may apply for a Federal Grad PLUS loan.
- Must complete and submit the Summer Loan Request Form – you must have Google Apps Activated on your Montclair State account.
Should you enroll in less than half-time credits for the summer term, your loans will not disburse and be canceled.
To determine if you have remaining loan eligibility, please refer to the chart below:
Undergraduate Annual Federal Loan Limits
Limits for Dependent Students
|60 or more||$5,500||$2,000||$7,500|
Limits for Independent Students or Dependent Students with Parents Who Are Not Eligible for PLUS Loans
|60 or more||$5,500||$2,000||$4,000||$11,500|
Graduate Annual Federal Loan Limits:
- $20,500 Unsubsidized Stafford for MA, PhD and students in specific post-master’s certificate programs.
- Maximum of $12,500 Unsubsidized Stafford for students in teacher certification programs.
- Graduate PLUS Loans are limited to matriculated MA, PhD and specific graduate certificate programs.
- If you are not eligible for Federal Loan funds, you may explore Private Educational Loan options.
- If you have remaining Federal loan eligibility, we will process those loan(s) first.
- You must complete and submit the Summer Loan Request Form – you must have Google Apps Activated on your Montclair State account.
- If you are only using a Private Educational Loan for the summer please state so on the loan form.
- To apply for private educational loans, we recommend using ELMSelect to select a lender. Alternatively, you may apply with a lender of your choice.