Students are Required to Have Health Insurance
Montclair State University is committed to ensuring that all full time students have access to adequate health insurance coverage
The following students are required to have health insurance that meets University requirements:
- Full-time undergraduate students enrolled in twelve (12) or more credits.
- Full-time graduate students enrolled in nine (9) or more credits.
These students must enroll in the Student Health Insurance plan (SHIP) or be covered by a comprehensive Affordable Care Act (ACA) compliant health insurance plan. To ensure compliance, full-time students are automatically billed for the SHIP. The waiver site will open mid-July and an email will be sent to students letting them know they can now waive the insurance.
Deadline to Waive the Health Insurance: Monday, September 20, 2021.
University Health Plans
Montclair State University partnered with University Health Plans (UHP) to administer our insurance process. UHP will help with completing your waiver or enrollment information. They will also be available to assist you with benefit-related questions. University Health Plans can be reached at 800-437-6448 or email@example.com.
The Student Health Insurance Plan will continue to be provided by Aetna Student Health. The plan complies with the Affordable Care Act benefit requirements and includes access to Aetna’s national PPO network of providers. Students do not have to select a primary care physician and referrals are not required. You can view the Plan Design and Benefit Summary located under Benefit Information in the left-hand side navigation menu. In order to keep the premium competitive, the following benefit changes were made:
- Deductible increased from $150.00 to $250.00
- Prescription Drug Benefit changed from $20.00/$40.00/$60.00 to $15.00/$45.00/$75.00/$100.00
- Lowering the copay for generic drugs and increasing the copay for brand and specialty drugs.
Insurance Cost & Coverage Periods
|Insurance Premium Fall 2021||Coverage Valid 08/15/2021 – 08/14/2022|
|Undergraduate & Graduate Students||$2,274.00|
**All full-time students are required to have health insurance and automatically have the cost of the health insurance charged to their student account. You are responsible to submit a health insurance waiver online if you do not want/need to the school sponsored health insurance.**
Montclair State University requires all international students to be insured with an ACA compliant, filed, and approved policy in the U.S.
Please Note: Health insurance plans marketed solely to International students are often not filed and approved in the U.S., have limited benefits, provider networks and/or coverage periods that do not comply with the Montclair State insurance requirements. GBG Insurance, HDL Global Specialty, ISO, PGH (United), PSI, Student Medicover, and Tata AIG are examples of companies that do not meet the waiver requirements.
If your health insurance plan meets all of the waiver requirements you can request the International Student Waiver Form. Please get in touch with University Health Plans at 800-437-6448 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please Note: Do not contact the University Health Center with questions about the University’s Health Insurance Plan. Contact UHP with all questions at 800-437-6448 or email@example.com.
- Following University Health Plans (UHP) requirements, the University reserves the right to make the final determination regarding eligibility for the initial and continued enrollment in this insurance plan.
- The University reserves the right to audit all waivers in order to ensure compliance with the University insurance requirements. Please be sure to have a copy of your insurance policy as you may be asked to provide documentation.
- A valid health insurance card must be available when submitting the insurance waiver. Pending insurance coverage or a letter from your employer and/or a third company does NOT constitute as an accepted/submitted waiver.
- Important Notice to Athletes: The Health Insurance Waiver process is NOT the same as providing an insurance card or information to the Athletics Department or the athletic trainers as part of the medical information required for participation in the student’s sport.
- Disclaimer: If you withdraw from all/some courses on/or after the add/drop period it does not remove the health insurance premium. You will still remain enrolled in the health insurance plan for the duration of the effective date. You will also be financially responsible for the full cost of the health insurance premium unless you have an approved waiver on file by the deadline of Monday, September 20, 2021.
The official method of communication with students is via your Montclair State email. It is the student’s responsibility to make sure their email is working, check their email on a regular basis and respond or take action as appropriate.