Summer Financial Aid
It is a common misconception that additional federal aid is offered for summer session coursework. During summer sessions, students may only qualify for remaining annual federal financial aid that was not used during the Fall and Spring semesters. Generally, students who attended full-time both Fall and Spring semesters will not have remaining eligibility for federal aid eligibility available to use during the summer sessions. However, if you were not full-time both semesters, reduced or declined a portion or all of your aid, you may be eligible to receive your remaining eligibility to help fund your summer coursework.
Enrollment is verified to determine aid eligibility and disbursement. Students registered in more credits or for more than 8 weeks during the summer may qualify for an increase in their estimated cost of attendance. Students registered for less than half-time are not eligible for federal student loans. * There is no differential tuition and fees charge for in-state or out-of-state Undergraduate students for the summer.
- You may be eligible to receive the PELL grant if you have remaining eligibility.
Any remaining PELL eligibilty will be awarded automatically for all students with a current year FAFSA on file.
Summer Work Study:
- Federal Work Study is not offered during the summer sessions.
Federal Stafford Loans:
- You must be matriculated student enrolled at least half-time to qualify for Federal Stafford Loans.
- Must have remaining Federal Stafford loan eligibility
- Must complete and submit the Summer Loan Request below
- Your parent may also apply for a Federal PLUS loan (Parent loan for undergraduate students) at www.studentloans.gov
- Graduate Students may apply for a Federal Grad PLUS loan (Masters degree and beyond) at www.studentloans.gov
Should you fall below the minimum required hours for the summer term, your loans will not disburse and be canceled.
Summer Loan Request Form- Complete this to submit a request for loan eligibility for the summer term (You must have Google Apps Activated on your MSU account)
To determine if you have remaining loan eligibility, please refer to the chart below:
Undergraduate Annual Federal Loan Limits:
|Dependent Students||Independent Student OR Dependent Students with parents who are not eligible for PLUS loans|
|Academic Year||Maximum Federal Stafford (Sub/Unsub)||Maximum Federal Stafford Loans (Sub/Unsub/Additional Unsub)|
|1-29 Credits||$3,500/$2,000 = $5,500||$3,500/ $2,000/ $4,000 = $9,500|
|30-59 Credits||$4,500/$2,000 = $6,500||$4,500/ $2,000/ $4,000 = $10,500|
|60+ Credits||$5,500/$2,000 = $7,500||$5,500/ $2,000/ $4,000 = $12,500|
Graduate Annual Federal Loan Limits:
* $20,500 Unsubsidized Stafford for MA, PhD and students in specific Post Master Certificate Programs.
* Maximum of $12,500 Unsubsidized Stafford for students in Teacher Certification Programs.
* Graduate PLUS Loans are limited to matriculated MA, PhD and specific Graduate Certificate Programs.
- If you are not eligible for Federal Loan funds, you may explore private educational loan options. If you have remaining Federal loan eligibility, we will process those loan(s) first. Private Educational Loans
- Must complete and submit the Summer Loan Request Form available at: The Loan Forms Page -(If you are only using a Private Educational Loan for the summer please state so on the loan form.)
- Non Matriculated or Visiting Students are not eligible for ANY federal grants or federal loans. Private Loans would be your option.
- If at any point, your enrollment drops to less than half time, your federal and some private loans will be cancelled and you will be responsible for the unpaid balance.
- If you do not complete your courses, you may lose some or all of your funding and you will owe the University.
- If you are not enrolled in any summer classes, you are not eligible to receive financial aid, even if you are living on campus.
- Disbursement of aid will only occur on June 30th. You cannot rely on having your financial aid funds available to pay for other expenses (e.g. rent, bills, etc.) beforehand.