INTRAMURAL SPORTS 101
Every person who participates in Intramural Sports is responsible for knowing, understanding, and abiding by all the information on this page.
- Intramural Sports Office: The Montclair State University Intramural Sports Office is located in the Student Recreation
- Center on the first floor outside of the gymnasium room 1105.
- The Intramural Sports Office phone number is (973) 655–3345
- Email: email@example.com
- Intramural sports information, including schedules, playoff brackets, sport rules, registration information, champion listings, pictures, and the calendar of events, can also be obtained by logging on to the Intramural Sports website.
All participants must be at least 18 years of age or older. The following persons are the ONLY people eligible to participate in the Intramural Sports Program:
- Currently registered Montclair State University undergraduate student
- Currently registered Montclair State University graduate student
- Montclair State University Faculty, Staff, and Alumni with Student Recreation Center Membership
NCAA Athletes: An individual MAY NOT PARTICIPATE in their specialty or equivalent sports during the same academic year in which they participated with the varsity team. Any student practicing with a team during the year is not eligible to participate in that intramural sport or that sport’s equivalent.
MSU Sport Club Members: Sport Club members are eligible for participation in their equivalent sport, but are limited to two members per intramural sport team.
Professional Athletes: Any individuals who have played a sport professionally are ineligible to participate in that sport or its equivalent.
Team Roster: Once a player plays with a team in that sport, they are permanently added to that team’s roster, and may not play for another team. Roster additions are made at the game site. During playoffs, all players must have played in at least one regular-season game to be eligible to play during playoffs. Although participants are not limited to the number of intramural sports they can compete in, participants may not play on more than one team in a given league (Men’s, Women’s, Co-ed, Greek) of a sport. They may however play on three teams in the same sport but in a different league. Forfeits and Defaults: If for some reason, your team cannot avoid forfeiting a scheduled game, common courtesy REQUIRES that the intramural staff be notified well in advance of the scheduled playing time. If a team cannot make a scheduled game but calls the intramural staff by 3 p.m. the day of the game it will result in a default resulting in a loss and decreased sportsmanship. Games lost by forfeit or default will not be rescheduled for any reason. Two forfeits by the same team in one season will prohibit the team from entering the playoffs entirely.
Postponements: Due to field schedule changes because of Montclair State University varsity athletics, or unsafe playing conditions such as weather concerns, games may be postponed by the Intramural Sports Office. Team representatives are responsible for checking their email and the Intramural Sports website or calling the Intramural Sports Office at 973-655-3345.
Rescheduling: League games are usually unable to be rescheduled due to time and field space constraints, unless extreme circumstances prevail. Defaulted and forfeited games will not be rescheduled for any reason. If a team cannot make a game the team may request one game change prior to the start of the season. Change requests must be made to the Intramural Area Supervisor by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. This does not guarantee the request will be approved.
Playoffs: All teams entered into the playoff bracket must compete in regular-season play with no more than two forfeits, and maintain a sportsmanship rating total of a 2.5 or better concluding regular season. The playoffs will use regular-season records and statistics to determine seeding. The office will make every attempt to reschedule a tournament game conflict. In order to request a playoff game to be rescheduled the team captain must contact the intramural staff via phone 973-655-3345 or email email@example.com. If the game conflict is a first round game the captain must contact the intramural staff within 24 hours of bracket posting otherwise the intramural staff must be notified 24 hours before the game time. The intramural staff will contact the opposing team to confirm a change. If the opposing team is unable to reschedule, the team requesting the change of game must make an attempt to play at the scheduled time.
Protest: Protests based solely on the accuracy of judgment on the part of an official will not be considered. Should a team captain wish to protest it must be done by filing a protest form with the on-site director immediately following the play in question.
Sportsmanship Ratings: Each team is given a sportsmanship rating of 4, 3, 2, 1, or 0 by the on-site Intramural Sports Director at the conclusion of each game. In order for a team to enter into the playoff tournament, their sportsmanship rating total must be a 2.75 or better. Sportsmanship rating is based on the following criteria:
- 4 Excellent Conduct and Sportsmanship: Players cooperate fully with officials and other team members. The team captain calmly converses with officials about rule interpretations and calls and has full control of teammates and fans.
- 3 Good Conduct and Sportsmanship: Players cooperate very well with officials and other team members. The team captain calmly converses with officials about rule interpretations and calls and has great control of teammates and fans.
- 2 Average Conduct and Sportsmanship: Players verbally complain about decisions made by officials or show dissension which may warrant a warning. Team captain has minor control over team and/or fans but has control over him/herself.
- 1 Below average Conduct and Sportsmanship: Team consistently comments to officials and/or opposing team from the playing surface or sideline. Team captain has little or no control over teammates, fans, or him/herself. Player ejection(s).
- 0 Poor Conduct and Sportsmanship: Team is completely uncooperative. The team captain has no control over teammates, fans, or self. Any team causing a game to be forfeited or receives multiple player ejections shall receive a 0 rating.
Individual Suspension: Any player or spectator deemed by Intramural Staff not acting in the best interest of the Intramural Program and Sportsmanship can be suspended. Reinstatement will be pending an investigation and a meeting with the Coordinator of Intramural and Club Sports. Any player who is ejected from a game is AUTOMATICALLY ineligible for the next game and, if warranted, more than one game.
- Any player involved in a fight will be suspended and depending on the situations severity there could be a referral to the Dean of Students. Under no circumstances will fighting be tolerated.
- Any player exhibiting poor sportsmanship before, during, or after a competition
- Any player who verbally or physically threatens or intimidates an intramural staff member
- Any player or spectator who physically contacts an intramural staff member
- Any player or spectator exhibiting wanton disregard for intramural equipment
- Any player or spectator exhibiting wanton disregard for intramural policies
- Any player or spectator ignoring the Montclair State University’s No Alcohol Policy
- Any player or spectator violating Montclair State University Code of Conduct. The Montclair State University Code of Conduct can be found at Code of Conduct
Team Suspension: Any team deemed by Intramural Staff not acting in the best interest of the Intramural Program and Sportsmanship can be suspended. Reinstatement will be pending an investigation and a meeting with the Coordinator of Intramural and Club Sports.
- Team violating Intramural policies and/or rules
- Team failing to control the actions of their players, bench personnel, team captain, and spectators
- Team failing to properly identify their players
- Team ignoring Montclair State University’s No Alcohol Policy
Every team is guaranteed at least 4 regular season games and 1 playoff game (if qualify) depending on the sport. . All playoff divisions will be single elimination.
- All participants should arrive at the playing field/court at least 15 minutes prior to the scheduled game time with
Montclair State University ID and proper playing attire.
- Participants should check in with the on-site intramural director or scorekeeper immediately to turn in their Montclair State University ID and sign the waiver form.
- Obtain any warm-up equipment and pinnie
- For games where a jersey number is necessary, it is important to give the intramural director or scorekeeper that number before the start of the game.
Regular Season: If a tie should occur during regular league play, the outcome of the game will stand as a tie.
Playoffs: If a tie should occur during playoff competition, the game will go into overtime play as determined in the specific rules of each sport. The game will be played until a winner is declared.
Health and Safety
Participation in the Intramural Sports Program is voluntary which means that the individuals assume all responsibility for their own health and safety. The risk of injury is inherent in many of the recreational sport activities offered by the Intramural Sports Program. Therefore, it is strongly recommended that individuals intending to participate in intramural sports should, for their own protection, have a physical examination to determine if they are physically able to participate, be fully aware of inherent risks involved in that sport, and have medical insurance to cover expenses incurred in the event of injury.
Drug and Alcohol Use:
Any participant or spectator under the influence of alcohol or illegal drugs, or who brings alcohol or illegal drugs to a game or event will be ejected from the facility and may face university judicial charges. Additionally, the use of tobacco products is strictly prohibited.