Fill out the Math and Chemistry Placement Form:
Incoming Freshmen – Major Courses
- MATH 111 Applied Pre-Calculus, or
MATH 122 Calculus I
depending on placement
- CHEM 106 or CHEM 120 (depending on placement and MATH co- or pre-requisite)
- CHEM 190 Freshmen Seminar in Chemistry
Guidelines for all majors needing Chemistry
in addition to the sequencing guidelines above
- Students should complete their 100 and 200 level chemistry courses in their first two years.
- Upperclassmen struggle much more with the 100 and 200 level chemistry material than freshmen and sophomores.
- Juniors and seniors taking 100 and 200 level chemistry courses should be an exception.
- Too many students wait until senior year to take chemistry courses to complete their major or to prepare for their application to professional schools. Students should be aware of these requirements early in their academic careers so that they can complete these courses well before graduation.
- Too many students think that a 100 level chemistry course is easier when they are a senior…nothing could be further from the truth!
Currently matriculated Montclair State students who wish to declare chemistry or biochemistry majors will be evaluated by the department upon submission of Declaration of Major form. The department will evaluate students on the basis of their chemistry or biochemistry GPA, their current status (freshmen, sophomore, junior or senior) and their expected time to graduation. A student may be encouraged to take additional chemistry or biochemistry courses before a final decision will be made.
- BS Chemistry Requirements | BS Chemistry Four Year Plan
- BS Biochemistry Requirements | BS Biochemistry Four Year Plan