The French Major
Our Undergraduate French program offers three unique specializations within the French major as well as a French minor and the possibility of enrolling in individual French courses. Our weekly conversation sessions, film festivals, and cultural outings to New York, in addition to many opportunities for study abroad, provide exciting extra-curricular opportunities for practicing French.
- A French major with a concentration in translation enhances linguistic skills for entry into careers
in international organizations, business, and the media. Advanced students may choose to continue into the 12-credit graduate certificate in French translation.
- A French major with a concentration in French civilization provides a solid foundation for teaching, graduate studies, and work with government and non-governmental organizations.
- A French major with teacher certification in French leads to the credential allowing individuals to teach in the state of New Jersey.
- An 18-credit French minor allows students flexibility in choosing classes of interest.
- Students already holding a baccalaureate degree may apply to take undergraduate– or graduate-level courses toward a second field certification in French, which may prove attractive to prospective employers. They may also wish to enroll in our graduate-level programs in French.
The Demand for French
French is the language spoken by the most countries in the world after English and it is an official language of the United Nations, FIFA, and the Olympics. More than 500 local companies belong to the New York French-American Chamber of Commerce, which means that there are a huge number of companies interested in hiring French speakers. In addition, the United States’ largest trading partner is Québec, only eight hours away by car. Many companies seek French speakers to translate publicity materials and products for the Québecois market. As a result, New Jersey schools actively recruit French teachers. All of these elements translate into an abundance of local jobs in which one can use French.