Complete the FAFSA
Go to: fafsa.gov and use Montclair’s School Code: 002617
Priority Deadline: February 1.
Sign electronically (student and parent) with your FSA ID.
- If an NJ resident, log on to HESAA
- Set up an account (student only)
- Respond to any requests for information from HESAA, if any. Send directly to HESAA.
Review your Student Aid Report (SAR)
- The SAR shows what you reported on the FAFSA. An email from Federal Student Aid will tell you when it is ready to be viewed online.
- Check for any mistakes.
- If you made a mistake, you may log back onto FAFSA to make a correction.
- The SAR will also tell you if you were selected for federal verification. If so, check your MSU email regularly for additional requests for information.
Submit any missing documentation
Log on to StudentForms to review missing forms.
- Email reminders are sent regularly if we require any additional documentation or forms.
- Please submit this information ASAP.
- Most documents can be uploaded using the StudentForms portal.
Review your financial aid awards
- Aid can be viewed electronically on NEST.
- Returning students receive their financial aid notifications after spring grades are posted in May.
Accept, adjust, or decline your student loan(s) on NEST.
Borrowing a Stafford loan for the first time? You must also complete two steps:
- Complete entrance counseling on studentaid.gov
- Sign the Master Promissory Note (MPN) on studentaid.gov
Borrowing a Stafford loan again?
Effective for the 2021- 22 year, all students who borrow loans must complete the required Annual Student Loan Acknowledgement (ASLA) – studentaid/gov.asla/
Returning Students: Check Your Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) Status
- Continuing students must meet minimum SAP standards to academically qualify for financial aid (read our policy online).
- Students who do not meet SAP will be contacted in June to submit an appeal. The submission deadline is strict. Appeals are reviewed by the committee in accordance with federal regulations and final decisions are returned in early August.
Pay your Bill
You have to pay the difference between your charges and any financial aid posted through one or more of the following:
- Payment options
- Tuition Payment Plan
- Other student loan options: Federal Parent PLUS loan or private loan.
Apply for outside scholarships regularly
- Use outside scholarship search engines. Review our Scholarships page.