Outside Scholarships

Financial Aid, including grants, student or parent loans and scholarships may be used to offset educational expenses. Estimated financial aid will be reflected on the student account summary via NEST. If your charges exceed your financial aid, you must pay the balance by the due date to avoid late fees. Please come see us at Red Hawk Central or email us at redhawkcentral@montclair.edu, if you are making changes to your schedule. This may also change the amount of potential aid you will receive.

Guidelines for Outside Scholarships

Student’s must submit copies of all scholarship notification letter(s) to Red Hawk Central. Information may be sent to the Red Hawk Central via mail, fax or in person.

These letter(s) should include the following:

  • Name of scholarship
  • CWID number
  • Amount of scholarship
  • If information is available how the scholarship will be disbursed. (i.e. paper check or electronic transmission of funds -EFT)
  • If the scholarship will be made payable to student or school.
  • If the entire amount of the scholarship will be sent at the beginning of the year or semester.

Please Note: Outside scholarship awards are considered resources and may reduce the amount of need-based financial aid you are awarded. If the outside scholarship exceeds a student’s financial need and/or cost of attendance, adjustments may be made to the student’s financial aid package to ensure compliance with federal and state regulations.

Scholarships Requiring Documentation

Enrollment and Academic Verification

Some scholarships may require an invoice or billing statement from Montclair State University before sending payment to the school. This information is typically noted on the notification letter. Below are some commonly requested documents:

  • Billing Statement or Invoice: Requests for an invoice must be noted in the notification letter along with the agencies contact and billing address information.
  • Verification Forms: Verification forms can be mailed to Red Hawk Central or faxed to 973-655-5486. Attn: Aaron Romero.
  • Transcripts or Certification of Enrollment: Please be advised that Red Hawk Central cannot issue official transcripts or enrollment certifications. Students may submit a request through NEST for official transcripts. The Certification of Enrollment Request Form can be obtained online or in person at Red Hawk Central. Students can access information pertaining to their academic standing, financial aid awards, cost of attendance and more on NEST.
  • Montclair State University Scholarship Billing Request Form

Submitting Checks to Montclair State

Scholarship checks should be made payable to Montclair State University with the student’s full name, CWID and semester(s) to which the funds should be applied. Scholarship checks should be mailed to the address below:

  • Montclair State University
    Red Hawk Central
    Attn: Aaron Romero
    1 Normal Ave
    Montclair, NJ 07043

Scholarship checks made payable to the student and Montclair State University must be endorsed by the student before the funds can be applied to his/her account. Red Hawk Central will contact you when your endorsement is needed.

Please Note: Scholarship checks made payable to the student only cannot be accepted.