Residency Requirements for In-State Tuition
Persons residing in New Jersey for a period of 12 months before first enrolling at Montclair State University are presumed to be domiciled in this state for tuition purposes. ** Domicile means: The place where a person has his/her true, fixed, permanent home and principal living establishment, and to which, whenever he/she is absent, he/she has the intention of returning.
Residence established solely for the purpose of attending a NJ College or University does not constitute domicile for tuition purposes.
Dependent students are presumed to be domiciled in the state in which their parents(s) or legal guardian(s) is domiciled.
A student must present evidence of his/her domicile to the institution to qualify for resident tuition rates. Such evidence must include:
- NJ drivers license; motor vehicle registration; or voter registration card
And a minimum of 3 of the list below:
- A copy of his/her New Jersey resident Income tax return (please block out any identifying numbers such as SS#)
- A copy of the parent’s (s’) or legal guardian’s (s’) NJ income tax return
- Evidence of ownership or a long term lease on a permanent residence for a period of one year
- A sworn, notarized statement from the student and/or his /her parent (s) or legal guardian declaring domicile in NJ for a period of one year
- Any proof of employment in the state for a period of one year
This documentation must be submitted to Student Accounts Office located in Red Hawk Central.
When the documents are received and reviewed, a decision will be made as to the students’ residence status; additional documentation may be required upon request of Student Accounts. If you have any further questions, you can e-mail: email@example.com.