exterior of Dickson Hall
News and Announcements

Professor Emeritus Gregory L. Waters Elected as NJCH Chair

Posted in: English Department, Homepage News and Events

photo of Professor Emeritus Gregory L. Waters

Professor Emeritus Gregory L. Waters (English), has been elected chair of the New Jersey Council for the Humanities, the state’s designated statewide partner of the National Endowment for the Humanities.

The Council is the Garden State’s leading organization committed to cultivating the public humanities and is the designated statewide partner of the National Endowment for the Humanities. A non-partisan organization, NJCH awards hundreds of thousands of dollars in grants annually to strengthen humanities programming throughout the state and offers a variety of humanities programs itself.

“We are thrilled that Dr. Waters is returning to this key leadership position for our organization,” said NJCH Executive Director Carin Berkowitz. “He has devoted his life to advocating for and teaching the humanities, and his leadership will serve us well at a time when the humanities are proving crucial to civic dialogue, connection, and empathy.”
As chair, Waters will lead the board’s fiduciary, governance, fundraising, advocacy, and programmatic responsibilities.

“The New Jersey Council for the Humanities plays a crucial role in fostering dialogue on the vital issues facing us today by supporting programs, conferences and events throughout the state,” Waters said. “The Board helps shape policy and identify new directions for the Council and is composed of very talented and dedicated members. I look forward to our work together.”

Waters, who retired from Montclair State in 2017, was the Director of the University Honors Program from 2004 until his retirement and served in many capacities including senior roles in the Provost’s Office, Advancement, and even for a time as Interim President. Throughout his life, he has championed the humanities, spearheading efforts to recognize the value of humanities skills in the workplace as well as serving as a consultant to the NEH.

Waters taught, advised and inspired hundreds, if not thousands, of students, becoming a mentor and friend to many in his 33 years at Montclair State. In celebration of his retirement, former students and mentees highlighted his unmatched passion for education, enthusiasm and dedication to his students, and the indelible impression he made in their lives.

“I remember Dr. Waters as the most empathetic and compassionate professor I have ever had,” recalls Jennifer Ocampo ’13. “Not only did he create a safe space where I always felt comfortable being myself, but he also encouraged me and made me feel like I mattered and belonged.”

“Dr. Waters taught me the value of taking risks in academic, professional and personal life,” says Rachel Belsky ’18. “He has inspired me to challenge myself in classes, take on new opportunities and study abroad in other countries.”

Renowned for his compassion and caring for his students, Waters has been a strong presence in the lives of many. “As an out-of-state student, Dr. Waters is like second family to me. He always makes sure to check in on me, ask about my family, and keep abreast of my academic success,” says Megan Hasse ’18.

Through the years, students have routinely sought out Waters’ advice. “He is one of the most kind-hearted and caring faculty members at Montclair State, which is why his office is typically flooded with students who are looking for advice, myself included,” says Stephen Blazejewski ’17.

NJCH’s Board comprises members from cultural, educational, private, public, and nonprofit sectors, who serve without compensation. The appointment marks Waters’ third stint in the role, to which he brings the wisdom of experience with the Michigan Humanities Council as well as his previous experience with NJCH.