It is vital that students contact our office in advance if they are unable to meet deadlines. Our goal is to provide you a positive educational experience while meeting financial obligations. Our office will work diligently to assist you in resolving your term bill.
Students with balances that have failed to make arrangements or without sufficient financial aid will be subject to Canvas deactivation, late fees, holds and deregistration. If you are deregistered from your classes, you will not be permitted to re-enroll for that specific semester. If you are a resident student, you will be required to move out of your residence hall. No appeals will be honored.
Once you have registered for classes, you are responsible for all charges associated with that semester. If you decide not to attend any or all of your courses, you must officially withdraw through NEST or submit a written notice to the Registrar’s Office located in Red Hawk Central. Students who do not withdraw or take a leave of absence according to policy forfeits all rights to any type of adjustment to his/her account. It is the student’s obligation to drop/withdraw from their classes. (add link to registrar page) Students that withdraw and have received financial aid must visit the Red Hawk Central website. Some of your aid may need to be returned. Any balance that results from a reduction in aid is the responsibility of the student.
Balances not paid in full, are referred to an external collection agency. You will be responsible to pay all collection costs in addition to your balance. These may include but not limited to late fees, costs of collections, attorney’s fees and litigation cost
Term bills are posted electronically on NEST. Bills are not mailed. Bills not paid by the established deadline will be subject to holds, late fees, Canvas deactivation and deregistration. Dates are subject to change. Please also review the Important Dates Calendar.
|Term||Bill Issued on NEST||Payment Due||Late Fee Applied|
|Summer 2019||April 1, 2019||Due date is the first day of classes for the
specific session in which you are registered.
|August 19, 2019|
|Fall 2019||Estimated: June 25, 2019
Official: July 30, 2019
|August 12, 2019||October 28, 2019|
|Winter 2019||November 18, 2019||December 16, 2019||TBD|
|Spring 2019||November 25, 2019||January 8, 2020||March 4, 2020|
Deadline dates are subject to change. Students are required to review NEST continuously throughout the semester for changes to the term bill
Students on payment plans must follow the plan payment schedule for due dates.
All communication regarding billing and payment information is sent to your Montclair State email address.
Late Fee Waiver Request Information
Red Hawk Central will approve a one-time waiver of the late fee if a student encounters circumstances determined by the University to be extenuating and beyond the control of the student.
Beginning July 2008, Montclair State University no longer mails paper bills or statements. All statements are posted and available for viewing on NEST. It is the student’s responsibility to pay tuition, fees and all other charges by the published due date provided and the current term bill. If courses were added after the due date students must remit payment within 48 hours.
The Late Fee Waiver Request Form must be submitted within the term you are charged. If a late fee has been waived in a prior term, future requests will not be honored. Submitting a form for a prior term will result in an automatic denial; your student account will not be retroactively adjusted. Appeals are reviewed on first come, first serve basis. Depending upon the complexity of the appeal and receipt of all supporting documentation (if deemed necessary), the processing time may vary. This time cannot be expedited. Please be mindful of this if you are interested in registering for future terms or in need of a transcript.
Below find the unacceptable list of reasons to request a waiver. You do not have to pay the fee in question while your request is being reviewed however, all other charges on your account must be paid accordingly. Submit the completed Late Fee Waiver Request Form. If approved, you will be able to see the adjustment on NEST. If denied, payment must be remitted immediately.
Late fee waiver requests will not be accepted for the following reasons:
- Payment is remitted after the posted due date. Student are fully responsible for viewing their NEST account continuously throughout the semester for changes to registration and bills.
- The Payment Plan established was under budget for the term bill.
- Lack of payment to the Payment Plan resulting in a terminated account.
- Verbally informing a staff member that payment is pending without appropriate documentation and/or approval.
- Student error or lack of providing necessary documentation resulting in the delay of administrative processes relative to registration or the delivery of financial aid funds.
- Financial Aid paperwork submitted after the posted deadline.
- Private loan, scholarships or employer/third-party payments not requested, applied or received prior to the deadline.
- Misinterpretation or lack of knowledge of University policies and/or procedures.
- Personal errors in judgment involving transportation, availability of finances, academic ability or time management.
- Inadequate investigation of course requirements prior to registration and attendance.
- Non-receipt of mail due to obsolete/incorrect address on file at Red Hawk Central.
- Failure to activate, review and/or maintain your official Montclair State email account and/or NEST account.
- Failure to receive important emails due to an over quota email account.
- Dissatisfaction with instructor, course content, or delivery of instruction.
- Failure to notify or provide NEST access to parent/legal guardian or payer of your term bill.
- Change of personal and/or family financial status.