Gamma Theta Upsilon
ΓΘΥ Gamma Theta Upsilon Ι Iota Chapter - Est. 1933
Gamma Theta Upsilon is the International Honorary Geographic Society founded in 1928.
The Iota Chapter was established at the New Jersey State Teachers College, Upper Montclair, New Jersey in December 1933 through the efforts of Dr. Harley P. Milstead.
The Chapter lay dormant after 1965 until revitalized in 2000 under the tutelage of Dr. Gregory A. Pope. Each year during The Geography Awareness Week in November, we initiate new members into the Iota Chapter.
Eligibility for Membership
Persons seeking membership must be initiated through an established chapter of Gamma Theta Upsilon. A chapter is also maintained for Alumni after graduation. There are two classes of membership in GTU:
Regular Member: Initiates must have completed a minimum of 3 geography courses, have a B average in geography, must rank in the upper 35% of their class and shall have completed at least 3 semester or 5 quarters of college course work.
Honorary Member: A chapter may extend honorary membership to anyone whom it feels has, by exploration, research, lecturing, publishing, teaching, or any other way contributed to marked advancement in any phase of Geography. The fees for Honorary membership are paid by the local chapter.
Why should you join GTU?
- Gamma Theta Upsilon membership is earned through superior scholarship; it is an honor, and a professional distinction.
- Members receive a handsome certificate, suitable for framing.
- No further membership dues are paid to the national organization after the initiation fee.
- Many members choose to remain active in GTU after graduation, by joining Omega Omega, the Alumni Chapter of GTU.
Benefits of GTU Membership
- Most chapters sponsor speakers, campus-wide programs, field trips and social events and participate in service functions.
- Members can participate in numerous extra-curricular activities.
- Membership provides a network where you can become better acquainted with other geography students and can meet and talk with geography faculty informally.
- Members can improve their expertise in the field of geography by learning things not normally dealt with in the classroom.
- Members are eligible to apply for Gamma Theta Upsilon scholarships.
- Membership in an academic honor society is evidence of your dedication and competency in your career field. Some employers give hiring preference to honor society members.
- For Membership Information: Ask your local chapter officers or GTU faculty advisor for information on membership procedures, and the many benefits of joining Gamma Theta Upsilon.