Red Hawk with red flowers below

Adult Student Applicants

Application Process for Adult Students

Who is an Adult Student Applicant?

An adult student applicant is someone who is at least 25 years old and who has never attended college or has not taken college-level courses in at least two years. An adult student applicant is someone who is interested in working toward a bachelor’s degree, either full or part time.

Adult Student Application Requirements

In order to be considered for admission to Montclair State University as an adult student applicant, you must:

Step 1
Online Application

Submit your application online. If you are a first time student, choose “Freshman” student type and “Adult Learner” application type. If you have taken college courses before, choose “Transfer” student type and “Adult Learner” application type.

After you complete the application, you will see instructions for paying the $65 non-refundable application fee (or submitting a fee waiver request). Then you will be able to submit your application for review.

Apply Now

Step 2
High School and/or College Transcripts

Freshman Adult Learners must submit their official high school transcript.

Transfer Adult Learners must submit their official high school transcript as well as college transcripts from ALL regionally accredited colleges and/or universities previously attended. Please mail or fax your materials to us:

Office of Undergraduate Admissions
Montclair State University
1 Normal Avenue, Dickson Hall
Montclair, NJ 07043

Fax: 973-655-7700

Step 3
Personal Statement

Please submit a Personal Statement that demonstrates what you have learned through formal education and/or life experiences. You can submit this via your Montclair State account under “supplemental items.”

Adult Student Prompt:

Submit a Personal Statement that demonstrates what you have learned through formal education and/or life experiences.

Step 4
Letters of Recommendation

Submit two letters of recommendation from people who are familiar with your previous academic work or from people who can comment on your background, experience, capacity to succeed and motivation (i.e. an employer, co-worker, former professor, etc.).

Adult Student Admission Standards

As an adult student applicant, your application will be considered based on a holistic review of the required credentials. In order for the Office of Undergraduate Admissions to make an informed decision on your admissibility, submit the following credentials in support of your application:

  • Official transcripts (high school and/or college, depending on your level of study).
  • Two letters of recommendation.
  • Personal Statement.
  • Standardized test scores if available are optional. (SAT or ACT: Students submitting ACT scores only must have also take the optional writing portion or the scores will be deemed incomplete for the purpose of making a decision.)
  • Additional supporting documentation such as your résumé, awards, certificates or extra curricular activities.

Though we take all factors into consideration when reviewing an adult student application, the Personal Statement is a particularly important part of the admission process. Your ability to describe your activities and intentions in a clear, concise and thoughtful manner will be evaluated during the application review process. Full consideration and thought should be given to the Personal Statement. When crafting your Personal Statement, you should demonstrate what you have learned both from formal education and from life experiences. The Personal Statement provides you the opportunity to demonstrate the educational value of your experiences and how they should be evaluated against a college curriculum.

Senior Citizen Application

New Jersey residents who possess a high school diploma or GED and are 65 years of age or older are invited to apply to Montclair State University under the Adult Learning Program.

Non-Degree Senior Citizen Applications

Non-Degree Applicants: Students interested in taking courses for personal enrichment (non-degree classification) simply need to complete a Non-Degree Application and submit an official transcript.

Apply Now