Photo of Chapin Hall, home of the Cali School of Music
News

New College of the Arts Students Get the Montclair State Orientation Experience

Posted in: Career Services News, Creative Research Center News

Feature image for New College of the Arts Students Get the Montclair State Orientation Experience

Hundreds of soon-to-be College of the Arts students and their families visited campus on July 6th and 7th for a full day of orientation info sessions to help start their freshman year successfully.

At the start of the day, incoming students had the opportunity to mix and mingle with current Montclair State students,  then gathered for presentations given at the Alexander Kasser Theater. Throughout the day, sessions covering everything from academic guidance and technology essentials, to commuter and residential life, were held to help smoothly transition them onto their new campus.  

Organized by department and school, each incoming student was assigned to a group led by a peer leader which gave them the opportunity direct their questions to a seasoned Montclair State student in their field of study. 

“The peer leaders have been great and very friendly while giving us the inside scoop,” said Music Education incoming student Michael Oddo, who specializes in percussion. Mr. Oddo shared that Montclair State was his first choice. “I felt connected, I wasn’t just a number; I was a student and a person and they know me very well,” was how Mr. Oddo described as why he chose to study at The John J. Cali School of Music.

Aspiring film producer Tazia Campbell, who will be beginning her studies at the School of Communication and Media said, “I’m extremely interested in the program and all the courses I’ll be taking, and I’m confident they will help me on my career path.” Ms. Campbell will also be living in the campus residence halls.

Elmer Cruz from Fairview, New Jersey, an incoming Acting major declared that his decision to be a College of the Arts student began at his acting audition. “I felt very welcomed and wanted,” Mr. Cruz said about his first impression of the program faculty. “What interested me was the program’s approach to studying Practical Aesthetics and Stanislavski methods, and I wanted to be a part of it.”

Hailing from Massachusetts, Theatre Studies incoming student Eliza Dumont described Montclair State as “a home away from home” of all the universities and colleges she visited. “I loved the overall atmosphere, and I knew I was going to come here as soon as my visit ended.”

The College of the Arts will be welcoming both incoming and continuing students for the start of classes on Tuesday, September 6th,  and anticipates another outstanding academic year of work, growth, and research by its talented faculty and student community.