The College of Education and Human Services at Montclair State University strives to be a progressive, innovative, national leader in the preparation of educators and human services professionals who possess the knowledge, skills and habits of mind to work toward a healthier, better educated and more just society.
In pursuing this vision, we are guided by our deeply held commitments to:
- Academic excellence in teaching and learning
- Local and national presence and impact through outreach, service and meaningful scholarship that make a difference in people’s lives
- Innovation and responsiveness to changes and developments in our communities, students and disciplines
- Diversity, equity, inclusion and social justice
- A collegial community which seeks to foster the health and well-being of all its members and in which everyone feels valued, respected and encouraged to grow and develop.
The mission of the College of Education and Human Services at Montclair State University is to:
- Provide quality undergraduate and graduate programs for both traditional and non-traditional students; develop professionals in education and the human services who will achieve the College’s academic goals and meet requisite professional standards; and make available a host of other learning opportunities.
- Support and engage in service and scholarship (including local, national and international collaborations) that add to the bodies of knowledge and practice in the disciplines represented in the College and that address the consequential issues faced by local, national, and global communities.
- Collaborate with field-based professionals-based on parity, trust and mutual interests-to support the continued learning of experienced professionals and foster the simultaneous renewal of the preparation of professionals and of the professions and communities in which they serve.
Embedded in and giving depth to the vision and mission of the College are the following Academic Goals of the College of Education and Human Services.
Our academic programs are committed to preparing professionals:
- Who emerge with the requisite knowledge and skills to be excellent practitioners within their professions and their communities;
- Who engage in critical reflection, inquiry, critical thinking and life-long learning;
- Who are committed to the moral and ethical dimensions and standards of their professions, including the pursuit of social justice;
- Who promote learning and growth for all, with respect for social, cultural, economic and individual differences;
- Who assume the responsibility of being stewards of best practice within their profession;
- Who understand their role in preparing and supporting individuals and groups to be active and critical participants in an emerging political and social democracy.