College of Education and Human Services Convocation Ceremony
Monday, May 14, 2012
(Bachelor degree recipients and candidates)
Photo Gallery of Convocation 2011
You are cordially invited to attend the 2012 College of Education and Human Services Convocation Ceremony. This is an opportunity for the College to recognize a milestone in your lives and celebrate your achievement. I congratulate and commend you on this wonderful accomplishment. We look forward to welcoming you and your guests at this year's Convocation.
Ada Beth Cutler, Dean
College of Education and Human Services
College of Education and Human Services Convocation
Monday, May 14, 2012; 2 p.m.; check-in 12:45 p.m.
Location: Sprague Field
This event is for bachelor's candidates only. Master's candidates attend the Graduate Convocation on Monday, May 14. Tickets and academic regalia are required.
Montclair State University Commencement
Friday, May 18, 2012; 10 a.m.; check-in 9:00 a.m.
Location: Izod Center, Meadowlands Sports Complex
This event is for all students - graduate and undergraduate. Tickets are not required, but academic regalia is.
OVERVIEW AND INSTRUCTIONS - Please Read Carefully
The College of Education and Human Services will host its Graduation Convocation Ceremony on May 14, 2012. While the University Commencement on May 18 signifies the official conferral of degrees, the individual College and School Convocations are pre-commencement ceremonies celebrating students' achievements. Seating is limited, and tickets are required for Convocation.
Eligibility to Participate in Both Events
Candidates who will complete their degree requirements by May 2012 and who after filing for a final audit are on the May 2012 graduation list are eligible to participate in the Convocation and/or Commencement exercises. Those whose degrees were conferred in August 2011 or January 2012 are also eligible to participate.
If you have questions concerning academic issues relative to your degree, please contact the Office of the Registrar at 973-655-4376. All other questions may be directed to the Office of the Dean at 973-655-5192.
For information on the application for final audit, Certification (Teacher Education), or if you missed the deadline to file for graduation, please go to http://www.montclair.edu/registrar.
The Convocation ceremony will take place at Sprague Field. This is an outdoor venue, so guests should dress according to the weather. In the event of inclement weather, the ceremony may be delayed or postponed to Tuesday, May 15, 2012. Please call the MSU weather hotline at 973-655-7810 or log on to http://www.montclair.edu/ for up to the minute weather cancellation information.
Please note that master's and doctoral degree candidates are to attend the Graduate Convocation on May 14 at 7 p.m. only.
Academic Regalia and Attire
Ordering Academic Regalia
- Caps and gowns may be purchased at the University Bookstore during regular store hours (available at http://www.montclair.bkstr.com) beginning Thursday, May 3 and continuing through Thursday, May 17. They will be available again on Friday, May 18 at the Izod Center.
- Bachelor's robes are $63. Eligible bachelor degree candidates must purchase their regalia in person and will be required to present a valid student I.D. or driver's license at the time of purchase. All purchases of academic attire are non-refundable.
- Master's degree candidates must order their regalia through Herff Jones at http://www.herffjones.com/ by March 30, 2012. Master's robes are $70.
- Doctoral Candidates participating in the Commencement ceremony should contact the Graduate School to order their academic attire.
Stoles and Hoods
For information regarding stoles and hoods for Commencement, please visit the Commencement website.
- Graduating students are required to wear their academic regalia (gowns and stoles only) at the Convocation Ceremony.
- Caps and tassels are reserved for Commencement. Academic caps and tassels are NOT worn for Convocation but will be worn at Commencement in the Izod Center.
- Handbags or other carried articles are not permitted in the ceremony. Please leave handbags or other items at home, with a guest, or in the car.
- Sprague Field is an outdoor venue, it is suggested that students and guests consider comfortable clothing and flat shoes for the event.
College of Education and Human Services Convocation Informatio
To Request Tickets:
- Seating is limited and tickets are required. If you wish to request guest tickets, you must RSVP utilizing the online response form which can be accessed by clicking on RSVP Here: CEHS Convocation Ceremony.
- Students may request a maximum of 4 tickets for guest seating at Sprague Field. Seating is limited. Please note that graduating students do not need tickets for themselves.
- In the event that you require additional tickets beyond the 4 allotted, you should make this request via the online RSVP system. All extra tickets will be distributed through a random drawing of students prior to the event.
- Tickets must be ordered online by Sunday, April 29, 2012 midnight.
- As a courtesy to other students, you should request only those tickets that will be used since seating is limited.
To Receive Tickets:
- To receive Convocation admission tickets, students must bring a picture ID in person to the Dean's Office, University Hall 3132 between Wednesday, May 2 - Friday, May 11, 2012.
- Tickets may be picked up Monday - Thursday 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. and Friday, 9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
- CANDIDATES ARE TO REPORT TO CHECK-IN AT 12:45 PM.
- Check-in is in Lot 7, across from the Red Hawk Deck. There will be a Registration Desk marked for "Graduating Students."
- At check-in, instructions for the line-up, processional, seating and other directions will be provided.
- Candidates will also be given an index card with the student’s name, phonetic spelling and program of study. You must keep this card with you at all times!
- CEHS staff will be available for assistance. Guests are not permitted in the check-in or line-up area.
- Candidates will line up in Lot 7 no later than 1:35 p.m. Latecomers will not be able to participate.
- CEHS staff will organize and supervise the line-up.
- The procession will begin promptly at 1:35 p.m. Latecomers will not be able to participate.
- Candidates will process into the bleachers from line-up. Please listen to instructions carefully on the day of the event.
- The Ceremony is expected to last 1 1/2 hours.
- The Convocation Ceremony will begin with a processional of graduating students, faculty, and distinguished guests followed by a welcoming address from President Susan Cole. As part of the ceremony, graduating students will be called to the stage by name to receive a certificate of achievement and to be congratulated personally by President Cole and Dean Ada Beth Cutler.
- Due to the physical requirements of the seating area and safety reasons, it will not be possible for family members to take photos during the ceremony. Please plan to take photos with family and/or faculty prior to and following the ceremony.
- GUESTS WITHOUT TICKETS WILL NOT BE ADMITTED.
- Entrances to Sprague Field will be open to guests holding tickets at 1:00 p.m. All guests should be seated by 1:45 p.m. The Sprague Field entrances will close for 15 minutes at 1:45 p.m. to accommodate the procession of faculty and candidates, so be sure that your guests arrive prior to that time.
- Please see photo of Sprague Field above. Ticketed guests may be seated anywhere in the rows above and on either side of the center seating area where the graduates will be seated.
- No strollers are allowed in the in the area of the stands. (Families bringing strollers will be required to leave strollers in a designated location.)
Special Needs Access, Guest Seating, and Parking
- Students and guests requiring disability seating accommodations should send an email to email@example.com no later than Friday, May 11 with the person's name and the nature of the special accommodation. (Type "ADA Accommodations for Convocation" in the subject heading of the email.)
- Guests should enter the campus via the Carlisle Road, Clove Road, or Valley Road/Quinn Road entrance and are invited to park free of charge at the Red Hawk Deck. Entrance to Sprague Field is through gates 5 and 7.
- Candidates with surface lot permits may park in those same lots during the Convocation Ceremony. There is also FREE parking available at Quarry Lots 18, 19, 20A, 20B, 21, 22, 23, 26 (short walk required to Convocation site -see campus map). Parking in these lots will be allowed without a permit only during the Convocation.
- Shuttle bus service will run as normal during the day of the Ceremony.
- For persons with disabilities, please park in the Red Hawk Deck and shuttle service will be available to and from Sprague Field.
Commencement exercises will take place indoors at the Izod Center (formerly Continental Airlines Arena) within the Meadowlands Sports Complex in East Rutherford, NJ, on Friday, May 18, 2012 beginning at 10:00 a.m. The ceremony will last approximately 90 minutes. Students' names are not read during the ceremony. Seating is unlimited and tickets are not required for the Commencement Ceremony.