Summer Literacy Enrichment and the epiSTEMic Programs
Nationally recognized for elementary education, Montclair State University’s faculty in the Department of Early Childhood, Elementary and Literacy Education (ECEL) has created The Summer Literacy Enrichment Program and The epiSTEMic Program designed for teaching and learning with the child and teacher in mind.
Summer 2022 Dates:
- Week 1: July 5th – 7th M-Th
- Week 2: July 11th – 14th M-Th
- Week 3: July 18th – 21st M-Th
- Week 4: July 25th – July 28th M-Th
Summer Literacy Enrichment Program Hours: 8:45 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.
Enrollment fee: $1,250
The Summer Literacy Program of the Department of Early Childhood, Elementary and Literacy Education for children from grades 1-12, provides individualized diagnostic and literacy enrichment services for students who are experiencing difficulties in reading and language arts skills or are seeking to enhance their general literacy skills. The program ensures that reading and writing remain fun and meaningful with the perfect balance of instructional support to keep children engaged in literacy experiences throughout the summer months, in preparation for the new school year.
The program is staffed by classroom teachers and Reading Specialists who are in the final stages of completing the requirements for their Master’s degrees and/or state of New Jersey Reading Certification, most of whom have taught an average of five years. Instruction is done under the supervision of faculty from Montclair State University’s Graduate Program in Reading.
The Summer Literacy Program is offered during the month of July and is a partner with the EpiSTEMic Camp. The Literacy Camp is offered from 8:45 a.m. – 1 p.m., followed by EpiSTEMic from 1 p.m. – 5 p.m. Extended day till 5:30 p.m. can be arranged for a fee.
Features of the program include:
- Literacy interest interview with parent/guardian
- Individualized instruction
- Informal and Formal Assessment
- End of program portfolio share and conference
- Written report of student progress
- Nutritious lunch buffet
The epiSTEMic Summer Program Hours: 1:00 p.m. – 5:30 p.m.
Enrollment fee: $1,250
Faculty in the Department of Early Childhood, Elementary, and Literacy Education developed the program to prepare future STEM-ists and STEM teacher leaders. This inclusive program provides children in grades K-8 with diverse learning strengths to engage in hands-on, inquiry-based, interdisciplinary STEM activities for enrichment and core competencies development. Students partner with pre-service graduate certification students as they participate in one-on-one and small group STEM activities. Graduate students apply their knowledge of inquiry-based STEM pedagogy to develop lessons and assessments for their young partners. University faculty and mentor teachers facilitate the program for teaching and learning with the learner in mind. Faculty are currently researching this model of field experiences to strengthen and innovate the teacher certification programming to bridge theory with practice.
- Step 1: Go to https://secure.touchnet.net/C27528_ustores/web/store_main.jsp?SINGLESTORE=true&STOREID=20for initial registration
- Step 2: Complete the required enrollment form
- Step 3: Your child’s enrollment is complete once we receive your payment and completed registration form. An email will be sent as confirmation that all requisite parts for enrollment are complete.