John J. Cali School of Music
The Cali School of Music makes its home in a 1928 Spanish Mission Style building that was renovated and expanded in 2009. The building is named in honor of the John J. Cali family whose generous $5 million gift provides scholarships and faculty support.
The building stands at the main entrance to the Montclair State campus. It accommodates nearly 450 students in its classrooms, rehearsal studios, practice rooms and the 235-seat Jed Leshowitz Recital Hall, where students, faculty and guest artists perform frequently. Large ensembles and opera productions take place in the Alexander Kasser Theater close to the music building near the main entrance to the campus. The Kasser Theater is also home to many professional theater and musical productions.
The Sprague Library is a resource for the wide variety of arts, liberal arts and science courses that are part of students' curricula. The music program balances professional training within a liberal arts education. Students are encouraged to make use of all the resources on the growing Montclair State campus.