The Cali School of Music at Montclair State University aims to create dynamic and comprehensive pathways to higher education and careers in music for under-resourced students. The goal is to transform the lives of young people, make higher education more accessible and the music field more inclusive.
Seeking to address inequities in music education, Cali Pathways identifies talented, motivated middle school and high school students, and assists them in breaking down the barriers that may otherwise preclude them from achieving their full musical potential. An individualized support plan is developed and adjusted yearly for each student.
Through the generosity of our donors, the Cali School will provide these students with educational and musical resources to advance their goals. This support may include:
- Acquisition of a musical instrument
- Private instruction
- Performance opportunities
- On-campus activities, workshops and seminars
- Tuition aid to summer camps
- Travel expenses to and from instruction
- College preparation
- Need and merit based scholarships to the Cali School of Music
Cali Pathways students are expected to:
- Practice a minimum of 10 hours per week and attend weekly private lessons.
- Participate in Pathways advising sessions, performance evaluations, workshops and seminars
- Participate in a school music program or enrichment ensemble in their community.
- Attend professional or collegiate performances.
How to Apply
To be considered, a student should:
- Be a rising under-resourced 8th-12th grader with an aptitude for and dedication to music (any instrument or voice type).
- Intend to study music in college
Students must be nominated by a music teacher or ensemble director. Once nominated, students will be asked to submit an audition video. Selected students will be invited for an interview.
Join Us By Donating
As lofty as aspirations are, we know that we cannot succeed without engaging the community. In order to succeed in making a difference in the lives of future musicians and the musical landscape, the Cali Pathways Project is looking for your support.
Here are ways you can make an impact:
- $25,000 ensures one year’s tuition and room and board at Montclair State University
- $15,000 ensures one year’s tuition at Montclair State University
- $7,500 ensures one-semester tuition free at Montclair State University
- $5,000 will provide a student with an instrument that will take a student to and through college and beyond OR one year of private instruction
- $2,500 will provide a student with the unique opportunity of an immersive musical experience at a summer camp or festival
- $1,000 will facilitate a student’s travel to/from music instruction
- $500 will provide a student with musical bucks and accessories
Questions? Contact Cali Pathways Director Tomoko Fujita firstname.lastname@example.org