Recital Policy and Scheduling
Rules and Regulations
- Leshowitz Recital Hall is available for students enrolled in the following degree programs: BMus, MA, MM, Performer’s Certificate, and Artist Diploma.
- Sophomore and Junior Recitals will only be scheduled in G55 or 201.
- Events in the Recital Hall are staffed by Production Office personnel while events in G55 and 201 are unstaffed.
- Room setup and restore is the responsibility of the performer for both G55 and 201.
- Archival audio recording happens for all Leshowitz Recital Hall events. Contact Phil Clifford for more information. Recording arrangements for G55 and 201 are the responsibility of the performer.
- The Cali School does not provide any video recording services.
- Leshowitz Recital Hall events are available for streaming on request.
- Recitals must not exceed 90 minutes in length, inclusive of one 10-minute intermission.
- You will have 30 minutes for a sound check starting one hour before your recital. The house will be opened 30 minutes prior to your scheduled recital start time.
- Recitals must always start on time unless there is a need for production to hold. No exceptions.
- No encores permitted. House lights will come up at the conclusion of your final piece.
- No food, drink, or receptions are permitted in the building.
- No cancellations are permitted unless there is an emergency approved by the Director.
- Recitals canceled without approval will only be rescheduled in G55 or 201.
- All recital production requirements are subject to the Production Manager’s approval.
Student recitals are held in the Leshowitz Recital Hall, room G55, and room 201. Events in the Recital Hall are staffed by Production Office personnel while events in G55 and 201 are unstaffed. In order to book the Recital Hall, your recital must be scheduled at least one month in advance. Recital scheduling for all spaces opens on August 1st, one month before the beginning of the Fall semester. Recital Hall scheduling for the Fall semester closes on November 15 while Spring semester recital scheduling closes on April 15. No recitals are available for scheduling in the Recital Hall after those dates – any events scheduled after those deadlines will only be scheduled in G55 or 201.
In order to successfully schedule and finalize your recital date, you must complete the following:
- Meet with your advisor to determine how many recitals (if any) are required to complete your degree.
- Find three dates* that you, your accompanist, and your instructor have available for your recital.
- Meet with Taylor Goodson in person to schedule your recital. Office hours are posted on his office door, Chapin 129. If you are not at school during the available hours, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule an alternate time.
- Once a date has been confirmed with Taylor, you will receive a blue recital scheduling form. This will begin a two-week countdown to your deadline. IMPORTANT: If this scheduling process is not completed within two-weeks of receiving your blue form, your date will be erased from the calendar and released for other use.
- Your private instructor must sign the top section of the recital form.
- Bring your signed form to the Production Manager, Phil Clifford, to discuss your anticipated program and any production needs. If approved, Phil will receive your blue form and reconfirm your recital with you, your instructor, accompanist, the area coordinator, and the scheduling office via email. Your recital is now scheduled and fully confirmed.
- If at any time during this process you foresee any problems meeting your deadline, contact Phil and Taylor via email. If you do not meet your deadline and have not communicated beforehand, you will forfeit the use of the recital hall and your date will be released. All recital communications must happen via official Montclair State University email accounts only.
- One scheduled two-hour dress rehearsal is permitted per recital. Dress rehearsal time is not guaranteed and is subject to the availability of your performance space. Speak to Taylor to schedule your dress rehearsal after your recital is confirmed.
*Available recital times:
Tuesday – Friday: 5 & 8pm; Saturdays: 2, 5 & 8pm; Sundays: 11am, 2 & 5pm.
No recitals will be scheduled on Mondays or during University holiday weekends.