- Recitals must not exceed 90 minutes in length, inclusive of any intermission. Intermissions must not exceed 10 minutes.
- You will have 30 minutes for a sound check starting one hour before your recital. The house will be opened 30 minutes prior to your scheduled recital start time.
- Recitals must always start on time unless there is a need for production to hold. No exceptions.
- No encores permitted. House lights will come up at the conclusion of your final piece.
- No receptions allowed in the building.
- No cancellations are permitted unless there is an emergency approved by the Director. Recitals canceled without approval will only be rescheduled in G55 or 201.
- All recital production requirements are subject to the Production Manager’s approval.
IMPORTANT: You have three weeks to finish the following process in order to schedule your recital in the recital hall.
- Meet with your advisor to determine how many recitals (if any) are required to complete your degree.
- Find three dates* that you, your accompanist and your instructor have available for your recital.
- Meet with the Concert Manager, Martha Learner, in person to schedule your recital: office hours are 9 a.m. – 3 p.m., Chapin 129. If you are not at school during the day, call her at 973-655-7263. When you have chosen a time she will give you a recital form for your instructor to sign and date. This will start the three-week countdown to your deadline.
- Meet with the Production Manager, Phil Clifford, to discuss your anticipated program and any production needs. If approved, Phil will confirm your recital with you, your instructor, accompanist, the area coordinator and the concert manager via email. Your recital is now scheduled.
If at any time during this process you foresee any problems meeting your deadline, contact Phil and Martha via email. If you do not meet your deadline and have not communicated beforehand, you will forfeit the use of the recital hall. All recital communications must happen via official Montclair State University email accounts only.
One scheduled two-hour dress rehearsal is permitted per recital. Speak to Martha to schedule your dress rehearsal after your recital is confirmed.
*Available recital times: Tue. – Fri. – 5 & 8 p.m.; Saturdays – 2, 5 & 8 p.m.; Sundays – 11 a.m., 2 & 5 p.m. No recitals will be scheduled on Mondays or during University holiday weekends.