Aerial Photo of Campus
News and Announcements

Stephanie Soriano

BA in Family Science and Human Development, Families, Children, and School Settings Concentration; Combined Dual Degree (BA/MAT)/ Dual Certification (Teacher Certification in Grades K-6 and Teacher of Students with Disabilities) Program.

Posted in: Spotlights, Teacher Education Spotlights

Photo of student Stephanie Soriano

Graduation Date/Expected Graduation Date: BA May 2020/ MAT May 2021

Why did you choose this field of study?  Why did you choose the program at Montclair State University?

I chose to major in Family Science and Human Development (FSHD) because it goes hand in hand with the teaching profession. As a future educator, I will be working with children and families, and this interdisciplinary field has prepared me to understand individuals, families, and communities from a holistic perspective. I chose the Combined Dual Degree (BA/MAT)/ Dual Certification (Teacher Certification in Grades K-6 and Teacher of Students with Disabilities) Program at MSU because it is a great opportunity to earn a bachelor’s and master’s degree in just five years. I chose to major in FSHD because I can apply what I have learned to my profession as a future educator. I will likely encounter many students who come from diverse backgrounds; therefore, being knowledgeable about working with diverse families will be beneficial in my efforts to help create a wholesome environment for students of various backgrounds.

What are the best parts of your program?

The course sequence is the best part about the FSHD Department/Program, which has provided me with the opportunity to study the development of individuals and families throughout their lives, their relationship with others, and their unique experiences in their lives. As a result, I have learned about child development, transition to marriage, transition to parenthood, families with school-aged children, aging family members, poverty and families, interpersonal relationships, research within this discipline, working with diverse families, as well as other related topics. Most importantly, the FSHD course sequence ensures to provide students with a wide-scope of knowledge that can be applied to various fields and career opportunities.

What was your favorite class or experience in the program, and why was that so important to you?

My favorite course in the program was FSHD 315 (Field Experience/ Service-Learning Experience w/ Families & Children). I enjoyed having the opportunity to complete field hours in an area of interest. I chose to do my hours in Coastal Communities Family Success Center. There I was able to assist impoverished families in receiving services offered by the agency, which include: parent education, family literacy, life skills training, parent-child activities, and outreach events. These services and programs are designed to increase family sustainability, economic self-reliance, health, and the well-being of families. For example, as an intern, I assisted the English Second Language (ESL) instructor to facilitate a lesson for an ESL session. As a future educator who is fluent in English and Spanish, I was pleased to have the experience of teaching an ESL class.

What are your plans for after graduation?

After graduation I will be returning to MSU to complete my master’s degree to receive a Teacher Certification in Grades K-6 and a Teacher of Students with Disabilities Certification. Once I have completed the Combined BA/MAT Teacher Education Program, I hope to work in an inclusive classroom setting in an elementary school near my hometown.