Aerial Photo of Campus
News and Announcements

Alexis Jimenez

BA in Family Science and Human Development

Posted in: Spotlights

Photo of Alexis Jimenez, student spotlight for February 2020

Expected Graduation Date: May 2020

Why did you choose this field of study?  Why did you choose the program at Montclair State University?

I chose this field and program because of how broad it is. There are so many different things you learn and so many career paths that you can follow just from one program of study. It really opened up my options when I was a freshman and didn’t make me feel as though I would be stuck if I decided to change my mind about what I wanted to do after graduation.

What are the best parts of your program?

The best part of my program is the professors. For the most part, they have all been very passionate about the classes they teach and the field we are all in. It has made the experience much better knowing that I am learning from people who care about what they are teaching.

What advice would you give to a prospective student in your field?

I would tell them to keep an open mind. Taking diverse electives is a big part of this. I never would have imagined that Death and Bereavement would have been one of the most interesting classes I’ve taken. Because of that class, I am currently interning at a hospice facility this semester, which has been a great experience so far.

How is your program preparing you for working in your field?

I have learned a lot of diverse things. From classes like Child Development to Death and Bereavement, I have learned a lot about what it’s like to work in any field, with any population. When I graduate this May,  I am going to graduate school for occupational therapy, and will be doing clinicals in both pediatric and geriatric settings, and can eventually work with any population I want. Having knowledge about the diverse needs over the lifespan will help me when I am in the field.